News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[psi run] heart breaking and head scratching

Started by chris_moore, April 17, 2007, 12:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_moore

psi run here:  http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=23579.0
                     http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=23601.0
                     http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=23540.0

So, it was Michael as GM, and me and Jason playing (we are 3/4 of our regular gaming group). 
     Jason's character:  What is my name?  (L - Caa - 5567 was on his bracelet)
                                  Why are my fists scarred? 
                                  Why can I force my body to do amazing things?
                                  Why am I so comfortable "on the streets"?
                                  Why am I afraid of doctors and hospitals?
     My character:  What is my name? (T - Dar - 0754)
                           Why are my irises white?
                           Why can I make objects appear in my hand?
                           Why do I cry in my sleep?
     So, GM Michael set the Crash scene (which is always the first scene) at the beginning of of a big storm and flood.  The whole session (about six or seven scenes, with interludes) was us running around a flooding town.  It was heaps of fun. 
     We had some wonderful Revelations that took characters in surprising directions (which was the plan!).  Jason's character had been a mafia enforcer who gave up his son to foster care to keep him out of danger.  That flashback was painfully sad.  My character, turns out, was blind, and has killed before.  Most of the revelations were narrated by other players.  Now, when a character has answers to all their questions, their story is over.  They go to the Crossroads, which is the end game.  The character will go down one of four narrative paths, (i.e. Outrun, Hidden, Go Home, Turn the Tables).  which will be a constraint on the character's endgame narration.   I'm looking for ideas as to how to use the number of questions answered as currency for influencing the path the character will take for the endgame.

A problem we ran into early on was Chase.  As we have it now, the Goal category looks like this:
6 - Character succeeds
5 - Character succeeds, but They (organization chasing the PC's) advance one scene
4 - Character succeeds, but They advance two scenes
3 - Character fails
2 - failure, They advance one scene
1 - failure, They advance two scenes

So, in scene 1, They advanced one scene.  They were on us, hunting us down in a sporting goods store.  Our goal was to escape, but, if we didn't get a six, they would still be on us during the next scene, and the next scene, until someone got a 6! Is this too difficult? 

I also feel like the story could turn out a lot more disjointed and clumsy, (kind of like this post) had we not been so familiar with each other.  We'll see about that with more playtesting, I guess...

I appreciate input on those questions, or in general,
Chris
Iowa Indie Gamers!

Simon C

Short answer:

Yes, that's too tough.  There are two possible solutions.  Either give the PCs more of a lead on "Them" (i.e the enemy starts with a few "scenes" to catch up), or make the "Six" result let the PCs gain some more ground.  As it is, all results but a six end up with the enemy closer, or the same distance.  You could make a six delay the enemy in some way.

lumpley

So, this game seems super awesome.

For chasing:

1) The number I put in chase could be a target number that you the GM have to roll in order to advance pursuit. I'm like, "I put my four in chase." You're like, "I roll a d6, and if it comes up a four or higher, I get to advance pursuit."

2) The number I put in chase could give you points to spend on pursuit-y things. I'm like, "I put my four in chase. That gives you 2 pursuit points." Then at some opportune future moment you're like, "I spend these 5 pursuit points: 'an operative of the agency is at their current location.' Mitch, as she crosses in front of the window, you see a sniper's laser dot follow her."

Advancing the bulk of pursuit along the notecard trail would be one of the things that the GM can spend pursuit points to do. The rest would be inserting various kinds of informants and operatives into their current scenes.

For the crossroads:

Is the chase really the best way to decide which epilogue?

-Vincent

P.S. I'd be just as into this game as I am even if it didn't use Otherkind dice. That it does, bonus! Thank you!

lumpley

Duh on me! So how about, are you sure that the number of questions answered is the best way to decide which epilogue?

It seems to me you'd maybe want something that refers to the content of the game's fiction. I don't know.

-Vincent

chris_moore

QuoteDuh on me! So how about, are you sure that the number of questions answered is the best way to decide which epilogue?

It seems to me you'd maybe want something that refers to the content of the game's fiction. I don't know.

-Vincent

Good point, Vincent.  When I imagine the fun of this game, I see players feeling the tension of the chase, and wowing each other with twisty Revelations.  What I was going for with the "questions answered = Crossroads time" was this:  now that the character knows who she is, what happens now?  It seems like it should be a turning point of some kind.  But it feels clunky.

I appreciate the help, Chris
Iowa Indie Gamers!

lumpley

No no no - I agree that once you've answered all your questions it's time for the crossroads. That seems just right to me.

Here's how I read you:
1. When one player's answered all her questions, it's crossroads for everybody.
2. Count how many of your questions you've answered, at that moment. That number determines which of the crossroads' epilogues are open to you.

"Count how many," a) is that what you meant? and b) if so, are you sure? I wonder if that'll work out right.

-Vincent

chris_moore

QuoteHere's how I read you:
1. When one player's answered all her questions, it's crossroads for everybody.

Yeah, that's right.

Quote2. Count how many of your questions you've answered, at that moment. That number determines which of the crossroads' epilogues are open to you.

I haven't come up with an answer for your #2, yet.  Some ideas I have are:

-Pick whatever Crossroads path you want, but you must incorporate your Answers into the epilogue (use them to justify character choices, for example).

-Pick whatever Crossroads path you want, but the more questions you have answered, the fancier (somehow) you can make your epilogue.

Iowa Indie Gamers!

chris_moore

-Or, the more questions you have answered, the less others get to narrate in your epilogue.

Iowa Indie Gamers!