News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Sorcerer] - short & long con Demos

Started by Darcy Burgess, May 01, 2007, 12:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darcy Burgess

Hi Gang,

I'm running an indie demo-table at my local con (CanGames) later this month.

I've got a slew and a half of games lined up, and most of my prep work is done.  However, I'm having a hard time prepping my Sorcerer demos.  I've searched some threads around here, but there's a catch: "demo" is a root word of "demon"...couple that with Sorcerer, and you're pretty much SOL as far as usable searches goes.

So, I'm looking for advice on what makes a good, grabby Sorcerer demo.  I'll be running in 2 formats:

• 10-20 minute "punchy" demo
    (similar to the GenCon demos, I believe) Under this format, I want something that shows off what Sorcerer does best -- what sets it apart.  And it's got to be super-easy to run.
  • a longer format (4hr) one-shot
    This demo is a lot easier to get a handle on.  However, suggestions are still welcome.

Cheers,
Darcy
Black Cadillacs - Your soapbox about War.  Use it.

angelfromanotherpin

You could just use published material.  In Utero (from Sex and Sorcerer) is specifically designed for the short form demo.  The Yzor scenario from the main book is good for a longer run, although you'll have to pregen some characters and demons.  Ron might even have some notes to share with you from his experience using those scenarios.

The problem with demos is that pregenerating characters is almost mandatory, and this removes the opportunity for players to really own their characters in a way that Sorcerer encourages.  It can also be tricky to get people into the shared headspace of a setting in so short a time.
-My real name is Jules

"Now that we know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine how many angels are dancing, at a given time, on the head of a given pin?"
"What if angels from another pin engaged them in melee combat?"

Darcy Burgess

Hi Jules,

I'm nodding my head to all of your points (other than the Sex and Sorcery reference -- I'm a "core book only" kind of guy).  What that tells me is that I didn't phrase my question specifically enough.  Thanks for steering me right.

So, given that pregeneration is a necessary evil, what elements of Sorcerer should I target?  Do any specific techniques or situations really do the game justice?

Cheers,
Darcy

hix

The advice Ron gave me was to focus on a single aspect of the game that you're excited about:

- Humanity
- The Master/Demon relationship
- Sorcerous rituals
- Linked rolls (transferring bonuses)
- Complex conflict
- ... something else.

And then design a demo around that.

Demonstrating character advancement is also possible. One option Ron mentioned was the idea of doing three write-ups of a character at three different stages of their life, with three different, short-to-resolve Kickers. A player chooses one, plays through it, and then chooses a second character and re-writes the character's descriptors/makes improvement rolls, etc. Then you play out that new Kicker.
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

angelfromanotherpin

The In Utero scenario references the strengths that can be showcased in a short exposure as 'the Humanity rules and the power to create a theme through decisions during play.'  It centers around a really simple conflict with the PCs at the poles and starts right as the match hits the gas.  I really think it's what you're looking for, at least for the short demo.
-My real name is Jules

"Now that we know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine how many angels are dancing, at a given time, on the head of a given pin?"

Darcy Burgess

Hi Jules,

Like I said, I don't have S&S (and won't be purchasing it in time for any meaningful use for this event).  In Utero sounds intriguing.  However, without a common frame of reference (the System presented in S&S), a lot of what you're saying is pretty much unintelligible.

However, your forward of Ron's suggestions is very helpful, indeed.  It got me thinking about a Sorcerer kernel I've been ruminating on for a long time -- demons as music.  The setting would be high school, with all the social bullshit that entails.

• I'm thinking that the short demo will be at prom, and the demo character (only one!) will be a wallflower ('cuz demonic music and misanthropic youth can't go wrong...).  This character won't be a sorcerer (although demons will be present), and I'll focus on the linked rolls and currency mechanics.
  • I'm thinking that the full-form game will use the demo as its kicker -- at least in a group sense.  The demo character will be a major NPC, and there will be 2 or 3 protags (Sorcerers).  I'm waffling on pregen here.

This is great -- at least the gears are turning now, instead of sitting there, waiting for lubrication.

Cheers,
Darcy

PS -- I'm picturing Demons exclusively as parasites.  And they love hopping bodies.

angelfromanotherpin

I really disapprove of the non-Sorcerer PC in the short demo.

If you want to focus on the linked rolls and the currency in a single-player set-up, I recommend running the PC through a single Contact/Summon/Bind procedure.  Bring a pre-generated character with a problem, and play the scene where all the transgressive ritual stuff happens, end the scene when the demon says "yes... masssster," and then discuss the context of any Humanity loss and the Binding result. 

Let the player leave thinking about how awesome it was about to be when he set Yarblex of Brutal Harvest on the problem, and/or how fast the character was going to have to work to avoid a Brutal Harvesting of his own.  Also, establish that the Contact/Summon/Bind is a scene all its own, and not just a means to an end.
-My real name is Jules