News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Real20: The Game with Balls

Started by sabedoriaclark, May 09, 2007, 06:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabedoriaclark

A new system I'm working on with a die pool mechanic using, you guessed it, heaps of d20's.

Go here to get a brief abstract:

http://robosnake.blogspot.com/2007/05/real20-game-with-balls.html

I'd love to get some first impressions. Actual mechanics will start appearing at that site very soon.

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Actually, for a Forge thread, you need to provide more guidance than merely seeking first impressions.

Nothing too major - just specify anything that you're especially fond of, or a little uncertain about, or whatever. Or contrast the game's function to another's which inspired it, either positively or negatively.

Best, Ron

sabedoriaclark

Ah. Okay.

The point of Real20 is to create a system which feels like the subject matter. In other words I want to create a game that is visceral and meaty so that the actual mechanics mirror the game universe.

The die pool mechanic is similar to things I've seen used in White Wolf games, Shadow Run, Burning Wheel and others where you roll a handful of dice and compare the result against a difficulty generating a number of successes.

Look for main character traits like hutzpah and mojo.

Falc

QuoteLook for main character traits like hutzpah and mojo.

I'll give you this first impression: I'm from Europe, English is the third language I learned. I don't have a clue what words like 'hutzpah' or 'mojo' are all about, what meanings and connotations these words have.

So if you use words like these for core elements of your game, then I'll either be forced to play with a dictionary next to me so I can look them up, or I simply won't be able to play.