News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Finally starting a Riddle of Steel game.

Started by sirogit, February 07, 2004, 06:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirogit

After much, much delay, I've finally started a Riddle of Steel game.

I had the situation starting the game created for the most part by my first player(Before I found two others). I hope that it can be modified by the others to generate intereasting roles for players that would want to play.

Here's the starting situation:

A king of a powerfull kingdom just died. Two twin princes are eligable for the throne, one reluctant but responsible, the other a marquis de sade-like twit. There has been dispute over who would take the throne, each twin having several minor nobles allied on their side. The young queen strives to just have this settled amicably before a civil war breaks out, the responsible twin has less ambition to rule the kingdom as the burning desire to not let his brother have the throne.

In a week, a cardinal is arranged to give a speech on who he chooses to support to the throne, which could very well decide who is the one coronated. The sinister twin, while keeping more than a few prostituites in his dungeon, happens to be fine with giving lip service to the church, while the responsable one hesitates to, for he harbors a secret: His pagan faith, which is consdiered demonic in the realm.

Never the less, the responsible twin is visiting the cardinal soon, hoping to find out who it is that the cardinal will announce his support for, and if not him, see to persuade the cardinal otherwise.

So after creating those characters, Chris wsanted to play the repsonsible twin as it has the most heroic potential.

The character was defined as:

A - Social Class
B - Skills
C - Attribuites
D - Profiencies
E - Gifts/Flaws
F - Sorcery

Skills:
6 - Druid
7 - Courtier

Attribuites:
Highest was Mental Apitude
High mental attribuites
Low physical attribuites

Profiencies:
Sinking them into a case of rapiers.

Gifts/Flaws:
Secret: Pagan Religion(I altered the gift/flaw system just a tad.)

SAs:
Passion - Hatred for his twin
Drive - To stop his twin from taking the throne
Faith - Pagan
Conscience
Destiny - To start a war

-------

My first question would be, do you think there will be adequate room for the other two players to create an intereasting character intergally involved in this plot? Do you think I should present the plot less detailed than I presented it here, and let the other two players make the details?

I'm somewhat against dropping this story entirely. Might be a nessacity if I want all threee players with very involved, intereasting roles. But it might also be good if the other two had a framework to work on, as neither has really done much creative roleplaying.

How much should I push the "All characters are on the same side(Atleast at first)" thing? Is that in the most part very beneficial to the game?

Ingenious

Hmmmm, and interesting plot.
I might say that the two other players might well be suited to being allies of the 'responsible twin' PC. That is if they want to work with the player. If they choose to work against him.. you can either have it appear that they are his allies(when in all actuality they are spies)..or you could have it be that the two minor noble allies are double-agents. Perhaps they might uncover the PC's secret faith. Oooh the conflict and loyalty issue might come up with that one.

Just have it run with intrigue and guile primarily involved in the storyline.
Perhaps the evil-twin will send assassins after his brother? Is it possible that the civil war/destiny of the prince sprouts from an attempted assassination? That might be fitting if the evil-twin was selected for the throne as the responsible one sends in some assassins and starts the war that way..

Other than that, I am out of ideas.
One question though..
how does one peg 'sorcery' as priority F?

*shrug*
-Ingenious

sirogit

Eh?... How do you not peg it? The character isn't a sorcerer.

Ingenious

I assumed that the character was a sorceror via the listing of Sorcery as Priority F.. which did not make sense to me. If you meant race, then I understand that.

*shrug*
It's too early to by up.. and too late to go to sleep.
-Ingenious