Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2022, 01:04:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4285 Members Latest Member: - Jason DAngelo Most online today: 81 - most online ever: 565 (October 17, 2020, 02:08:06 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Contenders] First game  (Read 2583 times)
JC

« on: August 11, 2007, 02:49:46 PM »

hi Smiley

first game of Contenders tonight, and we had a blast, even if we didn't make it to the end-game

the three of us played through Skype, using real card decks (we couldn't find anything practical to emulate cards online)

I'll post my the setting and PCs, the scenes, and my questions in seperate posts

JC

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »

JC

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 02:58:23 PM »

JC

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »

OK, now, some rules questions...

1/ the char-gen rules aren't clear to me, as far as stats are concerned
   do you start with 1 Contender Hope, 1 Connection Hope, 1 Pain, 1 Cash, 1 Rep, +1 bonus point?
   or 1 Contender Hope, 0 Connection Hope, 1 Pain, 1 Cash, 1 Rep, +2 bonus points?
   or something else?

2/ player A goes for a promotion scene
   then player B threatens player A's connection
   on his next turn, does player A do the fight scene that follows from the promotion, or the fight scene that follows from the treat?

3/ when you burn Hope during a fight, and you burn a connection's hope down to zero, do you lose that connection?

Filip Luszczyk

roll-player

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 09:51:52 AM »

The game was fun Smiley

The last match was one hell of a fight, but at it was worth it. Now Hans's mother doesn't need to have her legs operated - he'll simply buy her a Rolls-Royce Wink

Contenders is a cool game, although not having the book I've been somewhat confused by the differences between demo and full version.

I'd like to know if it's possible to take another PC's connection as a new connection for the character. If so, I wonder would it break something if I took Elsa as a new connection for Hans, with the ultimate hope in the lines of "I hope she'll give birth to her child". I'm not sure how the system would handle contradictory hopes/fears.

Also, I wonder about the purse spliting rules. It doesn't seem the purse needs to be split roughly equally, but with splits like 4/1 one can gain quite a lot of Cash (although there's some gamble to it). The whole negotiation thing during promotion scenes seems kind of fuzzy to me, too - are there some more concrete guidelines in the full version?

JC

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 04:49:57 AM »

I don't mean to be a pain, but we're playing again tomorrow, and I'd really like to know the answers to the rules questions

can anybody help us out?

thanks for any input!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: