News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I need to make sure I get Belongings right

Started by Filip Luszczyk, May 23, 2007, 06:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filip Luszczyk

Am I right that:

1.Belongings are essentialy very specialized Traits, i.e. technically they are dice attached to the character and not to the actual object.

2.The only way to gain or lose Belongings is through Fallout - it's not legit to simply write a newly acquired item on the sheet and give it it's usual dice.

3.It's not legit to give someone your Belonging (i.e. the item along with its dice cannot be transferred to another player's sheet).

4.NPCs don't have Belongings (i.e. the GM cannot write an item on NPC's sheet and give it its usual dice - he'd have to give the item to the NPC as a Trait if he wanted it to have any dice).

5.However, during the conflict, both players and the GM can introduce improvised items and roll their usual dice (or sometimes d6 or d4, which never happens in case of the listed Belongings). Both can introduce as many items as they want that way, unless someone vetoes it.

Are there any differences between DitV and Afraid that can be easily overlooked when it comes to Belongings? (like, other than the guns <-> supernatural weapons thing)?

Also, I recall conflicts with Belongings at stake were mentioned somewhere in the past - but I don't recall the specifics and I fail to find those threads now. If something like this is indeed possible and legit, how does it work?

Filip Luszczyk

Ok, so it seems I didn't get everything about the Belongings right, as after threading my way through 45 pages of threads I've found some clarifications for some of the things I wasn't sure about.

Looks like it's legit to give Belongings to NPCs, and it changes a lot (i.e. we've been handling NPCs completely wrong in our games it seems, as we've been treating them as separate participants in conflicts, using group rules only for crowds of "mooks", not giving them any Belongings, and generally avoiding using improvised things rules). This would explain why for the whole time some pieces didn't seem to fit the puzzle for me when I've been comparing our games with APs and accounts on how the game is supposed to work.

It seems like it's clearly stated in Afraid, but after reading DitV it wasn't really clear to me. E.g. there's no place for Belongings on NPCs sheet, and I don't remember giving Belongings to NPCs being mentioned anywhere in the book. (Did I ommit this?)

Also, I've found those old threads that I thought dealt with Belongings as stakes, but they were about something else. So, my memory was obviously playing tricks on me.

I could still use confirmation or clarification about giving away one's Belongings to someone, however.

Filip Luszczyk

Duh. I'm officially blind. The rule about giving NPCs Belongings if it's called for was in the book all the time ;)

lumpley

Confirmation: it's not legit to make changes to your character sheet at will, including erasing a belonging from your sheet and writing it on someone else's.

Feel free to have your character give Brother Mitch her gun, though. It stays on your character sheet and Brother Mitch's player rolls improvised belongings dice for it. Later on you can use fallout to "correct" your character sheets, if it seems called for to do so.

-Vincent

Filip Luszczyk