News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Exemplar Questions

Started by Garth, May 23, 2007, 10:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garth

Hey everyone, just picked up Capes and am dying to try it!  (The big problem will be finding more people to play...)  But I've got a few questions that don't seem to be covered by the Errata and FAQ.

If two characters share an Exemplar, do they each have distinct free Conflicts with that Exemplar?  If all three characters are in a scene, do they each get a free Conflict, or can only one of them do so?  Can only the player of the Exemplar start up the free Conflict(s)?

Can two characters be Exemplars to *each other*?  I could easily see a hero/sidekick pair in such a situation.

If the Root Conflict of an Exemplar is resolved (Superman marries Lois Lane, say) I suppose another free Exemplar should be created?

If somebody else's Spotlight Character is your character's Exemplar (presumably with their consent), I assume they would have to approve the free Conflict?

Andrew Cooper

Quote from: Garth on May 23, 2007, 10:57:43 PM
If two characters share an Exemplar, do they each have distinct free Conflicts with that Exemplar?

They can, yes.  Major Victory can have "Prove the value of righteousness to Hyperion." as his free Conflict with Hyperion while The Iron Brain might have "Win Hyperion's devotion." as his free Conflict with her.

If all three characters are in a scene, do they each get a free Conflict, or can only one of them do so? 

Each of them can play their free Conflict if they choose to do so.

Can only the player of the Exemplar start up the free Conflict(s)?

This is a good question.  I *think* the answer is that the player who's character has the free Conflict may play it and no one else.  I could very well be wrong about this but it is how I've been playing it.

Can two characters be Exemplars to *each other*?  I could easily see a hero/sidekick pair in such a situation.

Yes.

If the Root Conflict of an Exemplar is resolved (Superman marries Lois Lane, say) I suppose another free Exemplar should be created?

I guess you could but it generally isn't necessary.  Nothing in Capes is ever permenantly resolved unless everyone just agrees that it is.  Also, I tend to create free Conflicts for Exemplars that can't ever be permenantly resolved anyway.  "Impress X with my mad skillz." doesn't have an expiration date.

If somebody else's Spotlight Character is your character's Exemplar (presumably with their consent), I assume they would have to approve the free Conflict?

Nope.  I can have someone's Spotlight Character as my Exemplar completely without their consent and I can make the freee Conflict whatever I want without their approval.  Capes really isn't a "consent" game.  In fact, it's about as far from a "consent" game as you can get.

**Disclaimer:  It's been a while since I actually read the rules.  I don't generally have to drag them out to play anymore.  Thus, I could be slightly off with some of them due to misremembering them.  I'm happy to be corrected.  However, my answers do reflect how I play the game and are functional.

Garth

Thanks for the answers, Andrew.  Turns out one of them is in the book (I missed it):  Either the character or the Exemplar can play the free conflict.