News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Grab Life by the Balls

Started by fluency, June 15, 2007, 04:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluency

Grab Life by the Balls
By Gilbert Kraag
Translation from norwegian by Skjalg Kreutzer

Grab Life by the Balls (GLbtB) is a live-action roleplaying game for 1 or more players.

In GLbtB, players portray themselves in a world exactly like our own.
Once you start a game of GLbtB, the game has to be played from start to finish.
The player is also the Game Master, and judges the completion of the games goals after the deadline has expired. The player should describe the characters goals concretely:

*The goals have to be quantifiable.
*The descriptions of the goals has to be followed by a description of how the goals are to be reached.
*The goals must be written down, otherwise they do not count.
*The goals can be anything, as long as they are described concretely and assessment of their success is possible in retrospect.
*The goals must have a deadline.
*The goals must be realistic. They have to be possible to fulfill with the resources the character has available (time, money, contacts, mental capacity etc.).
*The goals should present a challenge to the character. Banal goals ("I have to buy a comic book this tuesday") do not count.

Example: "Within X I will have achieved Y. I will achieve Y by doing Z." Even goals like "I will be a good father" or "I will fill my life with love" have to be described in such a way that the GM can assess their success in retrospect:"I will be a good father for my daughter all my life, and to achieve this I will..."

The only way to loose is to quit playing. Should you fail to achieve your goals, you must rephrase them, changing Y and Z.
Victory requires two things:

A) Achieval of goals (partial victories)
B) Change of mentality (full victory)

Once the deadline has been reached, the player returns to the original record of his/her goals, and describes the process from start to completion.
If they failed to achieve their goals, they should assess what went wrong, and figure out why.
Reasess the goal, to find out whether to try again or rephrase the goal.
Try again until the character dies.

joepub

That is beautiful.

I just started playing.

Daniel Davis

En-halu, agaim.

davidboze

Someone needs to gloss "change of mentality";  it is unclear what this means.
Otherwise, this is a pretty amusing piece of writing.