Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:49:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Summer Secret Surprise 07 Hint  (Read 10220 times)
Luke

Conventions Forum Moderator, First Thoughts Pest

« on: June 07, 2007, 08:12:27 AM »

SUMMER SECRET SURPRISE 07

Once again, we're releasing a secret surprise project at GenCon.

Preorders begin Monday, June 18th.

All preorders will be signed and numbered.

• Preorderers will get two PDFs with their order -- one of the complete book, plus a little something special. The special thingie will only be available to preorders in that form.
  • The surprise will cost $20 or $25. We're still factoring final costs here at BWHQ. 
  • We will also be offering a special preorder t-shirt deal. The design is as yet to be decided. More details soon!
This thread contains speculation on what the surprise could be. One of those guesses is correct.

This is an illustration from the text. The first person to correctly guess what the image is and, subsequently, what the surprise is, will get a free t-shirt with their preorder.

Have fun and good luck!
-Luke

Marhault

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 08:18:09 AM »

Luke,

It must be the barbarian supplement that somebody suggested over on the Burning Wheel forums.  The sword is that of a barbarian raider, and the flower is, of course, a lotus.
Luke

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 10:35:59 PM »

Maybe so, my friend!

I was fishing around and I stumbled on this 220 page file on my computer. Let's take a look and see what's in it, shall we?

Oh, it's pretty! Check it out:

-L

WildElf

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 03:59:22 PM »

Luke,

It must be the barbarian supplement that somebody suggested over on the Burning Wheel forums.  The sword is that of a barbarian raider, and the flower is, of course, a lotus.

The flower is clearly no lotus (besides, they weren't common in barbarian cultures anyway).  They are the hibiscus, which most certainly means it is warring states period in China. Although it could easily be Korean, Indian, Maylay who also held the flower to be very important or other asian nations, the long, even hexagonal cross-cut shape of the blade is a trademark of that period in China, and all of the blades for the neighboring civilizations are curved.  Hopping across to europe, and the biggest barbarian cultures of the Vikings and the Celts did not have hilts that looked like that. The closest in Europe would be the roman spatha, but those hilts were rounded on the bottom, and they didn't have much to do with hibiscus at any rate.

Although I'd say it's more likely Chinese inspired fantasy, perhaps with a heavy dose of barbarians.  The east to Burning Wheel's west.
Andrew Cooper

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 05:06:52 AM »

Luke,

Am I allowed to hate you very much... and love you very much at the same time?

Where am I going to get the money to buy this?!?  Where, I ask?

Hey!  I have a birthday in July.  Hmmmmm....  Okay, I love you again.  No hate.

Luke

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 10:28:11 PM »

Hit the Burning Wheel home page, kids. Refresh your browsers and enjoy.

http://www.burningwheel.com

-L

The Dragon Master

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 06:43:37 PM »

If we aren't going to be at gencon and still want to pre-order, will it be possible to have the book shipped out to us? Or is this a strictly GenCon affair?

"You get what everone gets. You get a lifetime." -Death of the Endless
The names Tony

Sorcerer Workshop, Phoenix Comicon, May 27th - 30th 2010
Thor Olavsrud

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 06:20:32 AM »

If we aren't going to be at gencon and still want to pre-order, will it be possible to have the book shipped out to us? Or is this a strictly GenCon affair?

No preorders are going to be delivered at Gen Con. Preorders will be delivered by mail. This isn't a con-only supplement like Paths of Spite, Under a Serpent Sun and Burning Sands: Jihad.

cheers

Luke

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 09:31:22 PM »

Table of Contents.

Check out the table of contents for the Blossoms Are Falling!

We traditionally post a complete chapter as a preview in addition to the Table of Contents. What do you want to see? (Not the monster chapter! That's for paying customers only! Wink)

Also, in case you missed it, keep checking this page for more previews and updates. We posted Kusanagi the Grass Cutting Sword late last week and we'll have more in the coming weeks!

-L

The Dragon Master

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 10:58:38 AM »

Definitely want to see the Clan Burner come out.

"You get what everone gets. You get a lifetime." -Death of the Endless
The names Tony

Sorcerer Workshop, Phoenix Comicon, May 27th - 30th 2010
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: