News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Combat without the Fight! mechanics

Started by Andrew Cooper, April 05, 2007, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Cooper

At the end of the basic rules section of the BW book, Luke suggests going and burning characters and playing the game.  That's cool because the core rules really aren't very complicated and I'd feel comfortable running it like that.  I'm just confused on how to handle combat without the Fight! mechanics.  I've read on the forums where people refer to a Bloody Versus test but I can't find that phrase in the rules anywhere.  With this combat should I...

1.) Handle the whole combat as a single roll?  Do a versus test and the winner... um... wins and the loser dies.  That's a lot hanging on a single roll.

2.) Do a versus test and the winner applies damage to the loser as described in the weapons and injury sections of the rules?  This seems like a good option to the one roll settles everything but I wasn't sure if this was what people were referring to as "Bloody Versus" because the weapon and damage rules are in the sections Luke said don't read yet before playing.

Any suggestions here?

rafial

You are looking for BW page 139-141 "Simple Martial Conflict", and on page 140, you'll find the heading "Bloody Versus" ;)

Luke

Andrew,

You don't need to use the Bloody Versus rules. You can resolve combat with a simple versus test.

-L

xenopulse

I assumed you roll a versus test and use the difference in successes to determine the severity of the wound inflicted on the loser...

Andrew Cooper

Thanks!  You guys kick ass.  I knew there had to be a reference to Bloody Versus somewhere.