Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [DITV] First IRC session  (Read 860 times)
JC

« on: July 10, 2007, 01:05:27 AM »

Christoph Boeckle

Geneva, Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 05:09:14 AM »

That's neat, I'm happy you managed to find arrangements for play! Your session sure seems to have been very good and I hope you'll be able to continue along the same lines.

I quickly looked at the blog and the characters. They look fine, except relationships should just name an NPC. Those for Brother Micah are phrased like traits, and this might restrict the number of situations where the player can use them (that is, conflict with the person, or about the person).

Regards,
Christoph
Filip Luszczyk

roll-player

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 03:01:28 PM »

More descriptive Relationships shouldn't be a problem as long as we remember how they apply to conflicts, I suppose.

All in all, a very satisfying first session.

One thing that didn't work for me well was the slowness of Irc. Creating two characters, initiating them, and playing out a short conversation, plus some moderate amount of tabletalk took us about 6 hours. Three moments of tension doesn't feel like a terrible pay-off to me, in relation to the time invested. Irc can shine with some games, but I think that in Dogs the medium is rather hindering than supportive.

As for flipped conflicts, it's been a while since I've been using pre-set outcomes - hence the trouble with clearly establishing sides and goals in my conflict, I suppose. I've been instinctively trying to identify the thing the conflict was about, assuming that the winner will simply resolve it according to the development of the conflict and his final goals (as opposed to pre-stated motivation for his side). For the same reason I didn't fully get the problem of going outside the defined stakes in John's conflict, as it was only in mine that I switched my mindset back to pre-setting the outcomes.

Also, I don't think you can "learn nar" - it's rather about learning new techniques used in these particular games you try out.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: