News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Business Tabletop?

Started by Neikiu, June 21, 2007, 06:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neikiu

hey all,

I have been into table top for a few years now, and after falling out with the guy who used to GM with me and some friends (long story), i decided that i could perhaps start GMing my own system. Due to money and other such restrictions i figuired id make my own system.

This got me thinking, is there such a thing as like a business tycoon sort of RP, with like pollitcal and democratic kinds of aspects that i never really got to feel from previous RP's. Maybe something involving big money deals, corruption, weapon research and the toppling of complete goverments at a gangland boss' whim.

Just an idea i wanted to bounce of you guys, maybe with a little help getting some ideas down or whether its  worth trying to attempt in the first place.

Thanks

Will

vertigo25

I know of many card games and a few strategy games along those lines, but nothing I would consider RPG.

BUT...

Even if there *is* such a thing, it shouldn't prevent you from developing it. If that's a game you'd want to play, you go and make it.

In today's world, a lot of people think that in order for a product or business to be successful, it has to be the first of it's kind. It's rarely true. In fact, if you go to get a business loan, they want to see who your competitors are, if you have none, you almost certainly will not get the loan.

Now... me, personally...

I think that success is not a monetary thing or even a numbers thing (how many units can I move). For the game I'm working on (my first real endeavor as such), my goal for "success" is two-fold:

1) Get it done. I'm infamous for incomplete projects.
2) Make more than 12 people laugh and have a good time.
3) Make back any real money spent developing it (I'm not including dev. time in that equation... I have way too much free time as it is).
--
It's my fault Black Leaf died!

vertigo25

And FWIW... the idea sounds compelling to me.

We used to have some of those elements in our old Cyberpunk games, although they weren't usually the focus. I can see how they would be fun to put the focus on, though.
--
It's my fault Black Leaf died!

zoom

Sounds a great idea for role playing that does m8.

It's funny you mentioned Cyberpunk there Vertigo25. I remember a source book that came out for Shadowrun called "Corporate Download". The book was a fantastic read as there wasn't too much actual rules in it, rather, it was full of explanations on how major MEGA CORPs dealt with each other and then how that effected you as a shadow runner.

If your thinking of designing a game along this route I would suggest you get hold of a copy and take a look as it sounds exactly what your talking about.