News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Gathering Storm] -- That Gut-Wrenching feeling

Started by Darcy Burgess, June 25, 2007, 08:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darcy Burgess

The original genesis thread.

What the game's about
Telling short (brutal?) stories set in Britain during the Blitz (1940-41).

What's changed since the genesis?
The game will be driven by a custom deck of 60 cards, with a visual layout similar to the world's most popular collectible card game.

And my setting concerns are going to be handled by the artwork on the cards.  I'll insinuate the setting in gameplay visually.

The Problem
But, I'm wrangling with finding 60-odd images that inspire a gut-wrenching feeling.  What's gut-wrenching?  How about this?

So, a little help?  I've tried wikimedia commons, and I'm not terribly concerned about whether or not the images are public domain -- I'm planning on comissioning artwork if/when this thing goes to print.  I need useable placeholder stuff for the time being.

Cheers,
Darcy
Black Cadillacs - Your soapbox about War.  Use it.

BigElvis

Yes I think that it is gut-wrenching.
If you want to find images search using google picture search, 'london blitz' gave me a lot of things that could be usable. Also try 'dresden bombing' or something like that, if you are just looking for civilians in a bombed town. Maybe 'V2' will get you something as well.
You might not be able to find something that is completely gut-wrenching or horrifying though. But maybe you could search for some more modern conflicts, like iraqi war or something if you are looking for children in pieces or something like that. Many pictures taken out of context from different violent conflicts could work in a London setting as well, especially if you just want to use them for athmosphere.
Lars

Zeigfreid

Hi

Google says: "did you mean goat-wenching"

z.

Sane

-Ash-

Sane

Hmm, oops, looking at the URL of your example, I see it's from the same place. Sorry.

Ash
-Ash-

Sydney Freedberg

I think the kids-under-a-blanket picture is perfect. You probably don't want more than a handful of cards depicting actual destruction and gore, because people will get inured to it, which is precisely what you don't want. But cards that depict "daily life under the Blitz" where people are trying to get along as normal, but everything is subtly, horribly wrong -- walking to work past a burned-out building, reading bedtime stories in a bomb shelter -- will have a cumulative effect.

Darcy Burgess

Hi Jason --

Cool stuff.  After some digging, I found some useful ones.  However, I'm even more suspicious that I'll find some really useful material in the stories themselves.  Awesome, thanks!

Hi Sydney --

Bingo!  That's exactly what I'm hoping for.  I hit on another gem this evening.

They left the fucking hoses out!

Cheers,
Darcy
Black Cadillacs - Your soapbox about War.  Use it.