News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Shaped] Character definition and Character generation

Started by Ian Mclean, July 12, 2007, 07:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Mclean

Alright as some of you might already know, I am working ona game that for now I call Shaped. It started out from a brainstorm and was briefly discussed in overview in two threads before this one.
[Shaped] A Player Character Driven improvisionational dramatic game
The art of Zen, Tao, and the Matrix

Most recently, on these forums, I asked for feedback regarding what people would like to know about the game and got little response. So I have choosen to explore and layout the Character Definition (here after refered to as CharDef) and the Character Generation (here after refered to as CharGen).

I realize that these forms are generally for asking questions, however asking questions is not useful in large part to me and my process. So this is intended as a display of a prototype to be examined and for feedback to be generated off of. If you have questions, comments, or suggestions please feel free to share them.

The basic concepts:
The character is the object with which the player interacts with the fictional world and affects components of that world.
The character sheet is the players guarentee of participation, and their personal amendment to, and investment in the social contract.
Characters are stories, dreams, and nightmares.

The model I use to define a character is five identities which are necessary and without them you do not classifiably have a character. They are:
Essential
Social
Mental
Emotional
Physical

Alright at current I have developed this as the first and second stage of character creation.
Step one define your precepts, They are:
Concept - The Concept is the unifying idea underlying the character's existence. You, the player, maybe aware of this idea but the character might be oblivious to the character's concept.

The statement should be suggest how the character will look and act. This statement should be descriptive of the character's basic form.

Premise - The premise should include an action or actions that the character will take towards an expected outcome. This statement should explain the basic function of the character.

Prospect - The Prospect of the character should suggest the character's attitude and outlook on existence. This statement should describe the basic conclusion the character expects for themselves.

From these precepts you go on to the first stage in which you define the Character's Path of Enlightenment.

The character's path of enlightenment is the guiding code the character subscribes to. The path of enlightenment helps the character to make the important choices in their existence and to grow as a person. The less defined a character's path of enlightenment the more egotistical the character. The less the character can grow, due to the lack of direction.

The character's path of enlightenment is constructed through systematic definition of four subcategories, they are:

Principles
Geasa & Bans: things the character either must do or must avoid.
Axioms: assumptions the character holds as self-evident truths.

Values
Values are the ideals, virtues, and vices that the character supports and champions by word, deed and thought.

Roles
Aggressive: This is the role the character strives to exhibit to the world.
Passive: This is the role the character exhibits when presented with an interest that does not directly involve the character.
Offensive: This is the role the character exhibits when the character perceives a threat and wishes to remove it.
Defensive: This is the role the character exhibits when the character perceives a threat and wishes to avoid or
Destructive: This is the role the character exhibits when they are are agitated.
Constructive: This is the role the character exhibits when they are in a state of eustress.

Goals
Legacy: These is the goals the character inherits and/or expects to pass on to another generation.
These are the goals the character expects to fulfill
Life-time: after a few decades but before the character's existence is at end.
Long-term: after a decade but before two decades.
Mid-term: after a year but before a decade.
Short-term: after a month but before a year.

All of this is to support the character's Arete.

Before I explain what Arete is I must explain the reward system concept. In RPGs there often exists a resource/stat called Experience, or some variation which is used in someway to develop character abilities and/or remove character disabilities. Experience is generally used as a device to reward players actions in the game and is generally lumped into one pool to be spent or used for just about any development you want.

I plan on departing from that model and moving towards a compartementalized system of reward in which the player receives reward for re-enforcing different parts of their character. Arete is the effectiveness score that measures the character's excellence in their choosen path of enlightenment. It is accompanied by a pool of spendable resources called Integrity. When you get a certain amount of Integrity you may cash it in for new Path traits or to increase your character's excellence.

Integrity is rewarded when the character accomplishes, exemplifies or otherwise re-enforces one or more of their Principles, Values, Roles, and/or Goals.

That is what I have defined currently. Also on the drawing board are:
Affect - The Character's emotionality
Satori - The Character's awareness and mental keenness
Esteem - The Character's social renown
Physique - the Character's physical composition

Also portions under consideration are:
Destiny - The degree to which the Fates (they are Story staff avatars) control your character's life and which your character allows them to control your character's life
Dharma - The degree to which you serve the purpose given to you by the Lord of Dreams (think of this person as the Head storyteller or Gamer master, Unlike D&D or other RPGS the story staff are not granted unlimited power to make fundamental descissions.)

Thoughts?