News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Colored page paper?

Started by Seth M. Drebitko, June 28, 2007, 07:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth M. Drebitko

I was just curious is any one had used the sturdier paper used in printing colored pages at all, and if so how did it go for you?
If you simply have bought colored gaming books, then was it the color art that sold you, or were you just looking to pick the book up and were willing to pay the mark up?

Also what is the paper printers use for color printing actually called because I am not sure what to start searching for it as?

Thanks for entertaining my questions,
Regards, Seth
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!

MatrixGamer

I'm not certain which kind of paper you're interested in but I'll give a go at answering.

Most of us are familiar with 20lb copy paper. Some may use 24lb paper but not often. There is also 28lb paper. All these come in white and run through standard computer printers. Beyond that you get into cardstock 60lb and higher. This can run through printers as well but will have a higher jam rate.

You can buy coated paper, it is similar thickness to cardstock. This paper can take ink jet ink well but can also smudge. Laser jet toner covers up the shine and thus is a waste.

There are plenty of colored 20lb paper and colored cardstock. I've used colored cardstock at times - I've never noticed it helping sell a game though.

When you talk about color printed books are you talking about the glossy paper full color books? (Like the D+D books) These are done on offset paper. You can get this stuff but it is not made to run through a regular printer. You really need an offset press. I've not been crazy enough to buy one of those yet so I can't say how they work. All I know is that a small one wieghts 1000 pounds, they smell and are loud.

Stop by my booth (Hamster Press) at Gen Con and we'll talk production.

Chris Engle
Chris Engle
Hamster Press = Engle Matrix Games
http://hamsterpress.net

Seth M. Drebitko

Well considering the size and smell of an offset I would not imagine the misses being pleased with one :p. I suppose my goal is to print good quality color pages in the most economical method possible to myself. I am not that well versed in self printing methods and was just wondering what methods people preferred as far as paper and printer types for self printed pages.
Regards, Seth
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!

David Artman

Quote from: Seth M. Bashwinger on June 28, 2007, 07:47:46 AMIf you simply have bought colored gaming books, then was it the color art that sold you, or were you just looking to pick the book up and were willing to pay the mark up?

OK, a data point: I bought Burning Empires recently from my FLGS because I was so impressed with its production quality, in particular the full color pages throughout.

Quote from: MatrixGamer on July 18, 2007, 04:51:19 PM
You really need an offset press. I've not been crazy enough to buy one of those yet so I can't say how they work. All I know is that a small one weighs 1000 pounds, they smell and are loud.

Hehe... You've actually considered buying one? *google google*

OK, there's three on Froogle for $2500 to $35,000... and then you hit six figures. Want a new one, you say? Seven figures.

I *wish* I could even consider such a thing....
David
Designer - GLASS, Icehouse Games
Editor - Perfect, Passages

MatrixGamer

The one I described above would be one in the $2500 range. I saw an offset press at a going out of business sale of a small town paper a couple of years ago. No thanks! I will defintely outsource printing if I need to do that. Oh! I didn't mention that you need the plate making machine as well. It's the same size and about the same cost.

For the small print runs that we micro game companies can sell, a color printer works just fine. You won't be able to sell through distributors because the margins are too small - but you could sell direct to stores (even at a 50% discount). The challenge is getting something that really looks good. Ink jet prints are water soluble (so the color will bleed if it gets wet - though in experiments you can dunk books in water and the running isn't that bad - the book would be dead anyway). Laser jet toner is a mat color coating - no shine - not very good for book interiors but worthless for covers (unless you can coat it with something - thus my experiements with clear house paint). Xerox has come out with solid ink printers. These printers don't use toner, they used wax cubes. The pictures are thus shiny wax things. They could be good. I don't own one of these printers though so I can't say how much they cost to run. This "ink" can scratch off and does disolve in solvents (I found this out when doing an experiment with Dammar Varnish).

Home made books that are all internal color are not feasible unless toner costs come down. I've heard that some new laser jets are cutting the cost of color toner down to mono color costs but I don't know which models. If this is so I'll be upgrading my printer!

I've got cofirmation that I'll be doing a seminar at Gen Con on home printing and book binding. I'm excited to share my hobby with others and see what ideas people have. I'll bring pictures!

Chris Engle
Chris Engle

komradebob

QuoteI've heard that some new laser jets are cutting the cost of color toner down to mono color costs but I don't know which models. If this is so I'll be upgrading my printer!
Canon is working on new color copiers/printers that are supposed to cut down costs significantly. The new style ones are going to have big refillable color toner that's set up refillable style. It looks hot.
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys

MatrixGamer

Do you know any product names?

Chris Engle
Chris Engle

komradebob

Quote from: MatrixGamer on July 19, 2007, 05:10:19 PM
Do you know any product names?

I'll stop down at their office when I get off and see what I can find out. They were giving us previews of their new stuff, since I work for facilities managment company. Conveinetly, they've set up offices in our building.
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys