News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

System in a Can Design Challenge

Started by Filip Luszczyk, July 18, 2007, 07:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filip Luszczyk

Oh. As a general note, I suggest everyone to take a look at last year's Compact RPG Challenge entries (linked from the first post, there's a compilation here - direct download link). Some people managed to squeeze a whole lot of stuff into two pages - and in [sic], with the requirements of up to 4 pages, minimum 10p font and minimum 15mm margins you have a bit more space.

Brevity will be needed, but it's not as limiting as it might seem ;)

Kamil - there's certainly not enough spaghetti in A & D ;)

xenopulse

ja-prozac

Tylko skurwysyny nie kochają króliczków!

Darcy Burgess

Hi Filip,

Just to be clear (before diving in), do the categories that include two items separated by a slash (eg: "western/pirate") imply a choice between two items, or a requirement to use both?

Cheers,
Darcy
Black Cadillacs - Your soapbox about War.  Use it.

greyorm

Quote from: Filip Luszczyk on July 20, 2007, 09:54:41 AMChose one of the following five sets and base your game on the genre and theme combo:

Filip,

In the sets, is the "/" between elements indicative of an "and/or"?

That is, for example, Set A is "Incorporate elements of both revenge and treasure hunting, or incorporate either revenge or treasure hunt." As another example, set B would be "may include both or either pirates or western tropes" (rather than "must include both pirates and western tropes"). Etc.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to participate, but it would be helpful knowing if I do. Thanks!
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Filip Luszczyk

In such cases incorporate both in some way.

Interpret, deconstruct, stretch, mix, focus on chosen elements and downplay unwanted elements as you see fit.

E.g. in case of western/pirate, I'd say it would be perfectly fine to go with some praire pirates or gunslinger sailors craziness - in any proportions, as long as there's something even vaguely pirate-ish and western-ish in the game.

As usually with such "ingredients", their main purpose is to inspire and provide some initial direction. They don't have to be an end in itself.

Filip Luszczyk

And here's my general brainstorming thread:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=24361.0

Dunno what will come out of it ;)

Chainsaw Aardvark

I have a bad feeling that this is probably too obvious, but I had and idea for a magic system based on computer teminology a year or two ago. As such, I could use set D as an actual fantasy realm where magic is literally hacking creation. White Helm & Black Helm mages, Edge Knights, and MegaKingdoms...

Still thinking about the themes and if I've got time to do this.

Vulpinoid

Just about ready to submit my entry,

It's going to be old school roleplaying using SET D
Setting: sword-and-sorcery/cyberpunk.
Theme: religious conversion/flight-of-fancy story.

By old school I mean the games they used to call roleplaying when targeting a general audience...you know, "Hero Quest", "Warhammer Quest" or the short lived but highly enjoyable CCG "Arcadia - the Wyld Hunt", by White Wolf.

A simple modular system where you build a character and a group of followers to go on quests around a map that is generated at the beginning of each game. 

Give me a couple of hours, just rendering the 3D images to go into the rule-set now.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Reprobus

My SIC thread about cowboys, pirates and splatterpunk: Disguised by Borrowed Plumes

Filip Luszczyk

Chainsaw, Vulpinoid - both your ideas sure sound interesting :)