News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

System in a Can Design Challenge

Started by Filip Luszczyk, July 18, 2007, 07:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filip Luszczyk

Also, keep in mind that the submission thread proper I'll post tomorrow or wednesday, and there's no reason to submit the "final" version before the weekend. The whole idea is to receive some feedback from other participants before that, and actually polish these 1-4 pages as much as possible.

Seth M. Drebitko

Ok I need some opinions I tried three times and kept getting splatter punk as a theme. I have decided it is destiny I am just going to settle with splatter punk, but have a question. What is splatter punk? If any one has heard of this genre please let me know for now I am winging it.

regards, Seth
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!

Vulpinoid

Sorry everyone, mine will be up shortly.

As soon as I work out a way to link to the PDF files I've generated.

If anyone has some help in that regard, it would be much appreciated. Send me a personal message if you've got any suggestions to avoid clogging up this forum.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Chainsaw Aardvark

According to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatterpunk Splatterpunk is is blood filed horror. Texas Chainsaw Masscre, teen horror movies, some zombie films etc. A focus on human evil and actually presenting the gore rather than off camera mutilations.

Broken down a bit more, we have splatter - akin to either splash, or the onomatopoeia of someones head hitting concrete after a twelve story fall. "-punk" genres tend to have a sense of nihilism and rebellion against a corrupt order in them, and often a sense of being alternate versions of film noir tropes.

Seth M. Drebitko

I think I can manage a gory splatterpunk western with themes of metamorphosis lol.
Regards, Seth
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!

Vulpinoid

I've noted that Splatter-Punk usually involves quite a bit of metamorphosis.

Changing from "whole and intact" to "dismembered and bits missing"...

Changing from "mostly solid with liquid inside" to "mostly liquid with some solid chunks"...

Changing from "relatively sane" to "borderline psychosis"...or even further.

I'm seeing a game with heavy flavour similarity to "Deadlands".

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

Reprobus

Quote from: Seth M. Bashwinger on July 23, 2007, 10:12:44 PM
I think I can manage a gory splatterpunk western with themes of metamorphosis lol.
Regards, Seth

I'm also working with SET B, so you are welcome to look around in my game's thread!
My SIC thread about cowboys, pirates and splatterpunk: Disguised by Borrowed Plumes

Christian Liberg

Im in.

I choose set D

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?board=63.0 called why did they leave us.

Let me know what you think

Chris

Reprobus

You linked the Endeavor in, but I've managed to find your game ;)
My SIC thread about cowboys, pirates and splatterpunk: Disguised by Borrowed Plumes

Chainsaw Aardvark

While some of you have already found it, for bookkeeping/offical counting, my game thread is http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=24375.0.

So far everything is going well, though I think option D is the most popular of the 5. Any ideas why its so popular?

Filip Luszczyk

Cyberpunk + fantasy are an interesting mix, I think, and at the same time this set doesn't involve any wacky complications :)

Anyway, it looks like there is slightly more than ten participants now (close to my initial estimations), so taking into account that some of us might quit or not make it before the deadline, I don't suppose we'll need to split into feedback groups. Unless more people join by tomorrow (European) noon, I'll simply post final submissions thread and instructions.

Filip Luszczyk

Ok, we're closing the challenge for new participants, as we're slowly approaching the deadline.

The master list of participants (more or less in the order of joining):

1.xenopulse
2.ja-prozac
3.JackTheOwner (*)
4.Anders Larsen
5.craigp
6.BenW (*)
7.Dave Cleaver
8.Filip Luszczyk
9.Björn Johansson
10.Chainsaw Aardvark
11.Vulpinoid
12.Reprobus
13.Seth M. Bashwinger (*)
14.Christian Liberg

*These people expressed their interest, but didn't start their threads yet or didn't link them from here, and didn't show activity. Jacek (AFAIK), decided to quit, so unless he posts something we can assume he's no longer in the challenge. Unless Ben and Seth give us some signs of life, we can safely assume the same, I suppose.

If you're reading this, let us know if you're still in the challenge!

This gives us 11-13 short games, probably a bit less in the end, so feedback should be manageable. Therefore, we don't split into groups or anything.

I'll post final submissions thread and instructions in a moment.

Filip Luszczyk

Here's the thread for final entries:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=24406.0

Remember about the feedback part of the challenge.

Chainsaw Aardvark

To avoid confusion, would someone mind setting the correct time into the clock? http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html is an online utility to tell everyone what the correct stop time is. When you say due Sunday, does that mean 11:59 Saturday, or before 0:00 Monday, and in what timezone? My computer clock doesn't match the time stamps for this forum, and we have both European and American partcipants.

I have to admit that I'm particularly bad with deadlines, but at least this lets us know when the literal 11th hour is.