News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Standard Aflame] The Big Three

Started by Randy, July 16, 2007, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

So, I have finally decided to post on this forum after lurking for some time. My game is very much in its infancy, and I would like a little community feedback on its initial concepts. I have codified this concept with the familiar Big Three.

1. What is the game about?
Standard Aflame is about rebels fighting for freedom. The game's biggest concerns are the process of rebellion and the motivations of the rebels.

2. What do the characters do?
The characters are the rebels. They fight the Regime in several ways, from violence to propaganda.

3. What do the players do?
One player is the Game Master and assumes control of the Regime and the friendly NPCs. It is the GM's responsibility to frame scenes and put obstacles in the characters' way. The other players each control one rebel. The players decide how they will fight the regime, and execute those plans. The players decide what drives their character, what the character has to gain, what the character has to lose, and what actions the character will not take. The player is responsible for acting with the constraints of these decisions.

Justin Nichol - BFG

I'm curious how abstract the regime and the rebels are? Is this a fantasy modern or near future sci fi dystopia or a far future thing or meant to reflect a modern day conspiracy? thanks.

Randy

The Regime and the rebels are not detailed explicitly enough to exclude them from a particular setting. The Regime is overtly totalitarian, making few excuses for its actions. The rebels are fighting to reinstitute civil liberties. I'm envisioning something that parallels a near-future American city, but the rules will be definitive of that setting. What's more important to me right now is to make sure the game emphasizes fighting for a cause.

Anders Larsen

Hi, and welcome to the forge!

I like your idea. There are a few things I would like to hear some more about, and I hope these question also will help you focus your thoughts.

I guess that there have to be created a Regime before the game starts. Do you have some thoughts about how to create a Regime for the character to fight against. And who creates this Regime (the GM or is it pre-made)?

What kind of personal and interpersonal conflict will there be for the people who fight the Regime (ex: personal gain vs. fighting for the cause)? Or more specific, what is the theme of this game?

Can you give some example on what drives the characters into the rebellion, and how do the players define these drives?

- Anders

Justin Nichol - BFG

honestly, I think the best way to stay interested is just to have a little discipline and also to stay on forums like this and read RPG theory, you'll lose interest if you stop getting ideas, but this site and others will help you continue having ideas. Thats whats kept me going is just always having new mind fodder to chew on.

Randy

->Anders

I have decided that Standard Aflame will have detailed setting information. The Regime will be detailed in the book, as will the city and the rebel faction (known as the Standard Aflame).

The game's theme is fighting FOR something. Each character will have a number of things they are fighting for: a number of goals established during chargen. These might be as mundane as "rationed gruel is disgusting, I want REAL food!" or as personal as "I want to worship any God I desire." The game will reward the players for taking steps toward these goals. For example, if a character breaks into a Regime Officer's house and eats his fried chicken, he might gain a bonus on future fighting rolls.

Anders Larsen

I have decided that Standard Aflame will have detailed setting information. The Regime will be detailed in the book, as will the city and the rebel faction (known as the Standard Aflame).

An alternative method is to have a guide the GM can use to create a Regime before play, like town creation in Dogs in the Vineyard. But having the Regime pre-made is also fine, you should just be careful about the re-playability of the game. If the players throw over the the Regime in one game why would they play it again? I would suggest that you do not make the setting too detailed, but only make the general structure of the Regime and let the GM (and players) fill out the rest. In this way it will not be the same from game to game. Of course this is only a concern if the game is meant to be played many times.

The game's theme is fighting FOR something. Each character will have a number of things they are fighting for: a number of goals established during chargen. These might be as mundane as "rationed gruel is disgusting, I want REAL food!" or as personal as "I want to worship any God I desire." The game will reward the players for taking steps toward these goals. For example, if a character breaks into a Regime Officer's house and eats his fried chicken, he might gain a bonus on future fighting rolls.

What about the possibility of sacrificing what you are fighting for to get an even greater bonus? In this way you get a struggle between fighting for a cause and fighting for just the sake of fighting.  The characters can be so caught up in the fighting that they will leave behind all their ideals.

- Anders