News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[sic] First Thoughts on SET B

Started by Reprobus, July 22, 2007, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filip Luszczyk

Heh, don't sweat it with the title, if you like it as it is :)

Why two attributes for each suit?

Reprobus

Because I think, I need 2 kind of attributes. One for deciding if the character's action was successful or not, and the second one as a registry on the character's personality. Was this an answer, or did I just said the same thing as in my previous post?

This is just an idea. Is there a problem with separating the suits this way? (the first 9 cards to measure the attributes of the first group / the last 4 cards for the character's personality)

My SIC thread about cowboys, pirates and splatterpunk: Disguised by Borrowed Plumes

Christian Liberg

Hehe i really love it, im in the process of creating one such gm less game, where i revolve the narrative constantly.

People already said all the things i thought of when i read your idea for system ( in fact they are all way better at systems than i am, just trying to duck under ) So im just going to say the following, perhaps you could use a poker hand for the start? five card draw replace any given number of cards? dont know if it works for you, but it would fit the western theme.

Concerning the Personality marks and the sociopath, one thing came to mind. What if the sociopath thought that pirates where somehow able to steal his personality marks, or rather, what if they actually could?

Chris

Filip Luszczyk

Oh, ok, now the way you want to use cards makes sense to me. I misinterpreted it initially.

Reprobus

ok, I'll try to work with the poker hand idea. in this case the characters will have the personality marks but no other attributes. The cards with the numbers will give the amount of points a player can spend on auctions.

My SIC thread about cowboys, pirates and splatterpunk: Disguised by Borrowed Plumes

Reprobus

... and I want to use community cards (just like the texas hold'em) because in this case the difference between the players "wealth" can't be so big as in draw poker. If any personality-mark-card will be dealt face up, then every character will have that pmark. The community cards won't change during the game, but at the beginning of every scene (GM change) the GM deals two new cards for every player.

At the end of the every scene the players will lose any unspent, not-pmark cards.

Does this make any sense? 

Reprobus

Mechanics:

As I already said, the game uses auction based mechanics. It will be something like betting in poker.

Every hindrance has a difficulty value assigned by the GM, if the player wants to overcome the hindrance, the GM opens the bet (opening value=difficulty value) and the players bet has to equal the opening.

If the player aims at harming the other players char or one of his crew members, he has to make the opening and to announce his action. The attacked player has to bet the same amount of points (call) as the attacker to neutralize the action and he has to narrate what happens to his char. If he wants to counterattack or to do anything else besides neutralizing the action, he has to bet at least twice as much as his enemy's previous bet (rise), and so on...

Example:
The Killer wants to backstab the last member of the Cowboy's crew in a dark alley.

The Killer opens the bet: I backstab him; 5 points.
The Cowboy makes a call: The Killer backstabs my char, but he hits only an Alice Cooper CD, that I stole from the museum last night and hid it in my secret pocket on the back of my coat, so do wound is far from being deadly; 5 points. 

Reprobus

I forgot to ask (I really miss the Edit option), do you have any ideas how to use the All In option?

Christian Liberg

All in is a tough one, to convert to the mechanics i think, especially if you decide to hold on the three players max?

Perhaps you could use the all in function as a way of diminishing the impact of the antagonists action.

example.

Killer: im waiting in the shadow, until the thieving no good critter(pirate) is in front of me, and then i cleave him in two. bet 5
Pirate( only has 3 points ):at the dumbest luck i trimble as the blade slices the air, causing the blade to bide down into the back of my shoulder, cutting the muscle. bet all in. Which would make all in a pretty much last defense kind of thing.

Nah think i would scrap the all in idea ( will think further though )

Reprobus

Scenes:

Each player will have an Introduction Scene, where he/she is playing his/her own character, another one will be the GM and the last one directs the NPCs.

After the Introduction Scenes begins the real game. :) One player takes the seat of the GM and the two other players will play their characters. Every scene lasts until two of the players (including the GM) have lost their possibility to win an auction.

Goal of the scenes: in every scene, after the dealing, the two players who have their chars  playing, will chose an objective (and write it down without showing it to the GM or the other player) based on their personality marks and on the happenings of the previous scenes. If both (or none) of them completes his objective nothing will happen, but if just one player completes the objective, then he gets some bonuses (at the beginning of the next scene he can change his new cards, or he can change one card from his hand to one from the community cards... or something like these, any ideas are welcome – just as usual)

If a player has no pmark cards, he can't set any objective for the next scene.
If the GM deals a pmark card to one of the players, and the player wants to use that card, in the next scene he has to play his character accordingly to that mark.

Example:

One of the new cards in the Pirates hand is a card showing a high value of recklessness. He wants to use that card, so in this scene he has to take a lot of unnecessary risks.     

Filip Luszczyk

I'm not perfectly sure about it, but maybe it could be more interesting if the objectives were open, or if the player was given an objective from someone else (the GM, probably)?

Vulpinoid

I've tried to work out a poker based system for a while.

Rarely with much luck though.

Keep trying, I'd like to see where this goes.

V
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.