Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 01:38:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Interest in a new contest!  (Read 3055 times)
Seth M. Drebitko

« on: July 22, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »

MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!
Eero Tuovinen
Acts of Evil Playtesters

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 03:36:32 PM »

Why not... I could imagine participating in something like this after the convention season closes down. Nothing much to add about the contest rules, except that I'm slightly skeptical about the wisdom of using an outside judge to pick a game system for your own game. Surely you should yourself be the judge? There is no partisanship there as long as you're footing the bill for the awards yourself.

Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.
Seth M. Drebitko

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 06:53:46 PM »

Well the only reason for the outside judges is because I actually want to get as many outside potential customers to join the subscriber mailing list. This massive quantity of people will then get to vote on which system they prefer providing input on them all. When all is said and done the (potential) client base would have a game they can feel they were involved in bringing to the table... and a couple people would have prizes. One reason I don't want to myself be the final say as far as judging goes is that I myself have an idea for what I think would be a nifty system for the game. The only reason I don't just go ahead and publish with said system is I want to make sure that it will be something people like.
regards, Seth

Reprobus

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 08:07:18 PM »

Reasonable answer for not being the judge yourself. No other comments yet Smiley

My SIC thread about cowboys, pirates and splatterpunk: Disguised by Borrowed Plumes
Eero Tuovinen
Acts of Evil Playtesters

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 05:33:44 AM »

I'm not so sure it's reasonable. Of course it's not my business, but designing by majority vote has rarely gone well. It might be different when the people are voting on complete packages instead of rules details, I wouldn't know; I still know so very little about the interactions of rules and setting that I couldn't begin to forecast the range of results from something like this. For all I know you might end up with a system you yourself despise and don't understand, which might be a bit difficult for the future of your game. A bit like all those companies that published d20 conversions of their games while the people behind the company name never even tried to play D&D.

Anyway, that doesn't really affect the design part of the competition, so I don't care so much. If you think it's wise, then go for it.

Seth M. Drebitko

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 02:07:45 PM »

might be different when the people are voting on complete packages instead of rules details

When the actually contestants are creating the systems they will have access to setting information as well as the scene packets. This way when the actual people voting are looking through systems they can keep in mind how it interacts with the setting.

For all I know you might end up with a system you yourself despise and don't understand, which might be a bit difficult for the future of your game

This is one thing I am concerned with, to counter this the part of voting where the actual people judging give feedback on the games and where they falter, as well as any suggestions is going to be a huge asset to providing a workable system.

When it comes down to it I am very eagerly anticipating the wide variety of system concepts people conjure up from the same scenes.
Thanks for bringing up your concerns, with every ones feed back I am starting to get things nailed down a bit more. Out of curiosity when does "convention season" end?
Regards, Seth

Christian Liberg

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 04:57:42 AM »

Aye, i would definitely agree to join in such a contest, not as much for winning the prices, but it could be interesting to see what other people think about the same things as my self.

I think that you should check all the rules set's and instead of critiqueless taking the system all the judges think are best, create an amalgamation of them, into what fits your ideas, and future development of the game.

my best bet would be to create the contest, but to take pick and choose of individual parts of the systems coming in.

Chris

Eero Tuovinen
Acts of Evil Playtesters

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 05:05:51 AM »

For my purposes, the convention season is all but finished after Ropecon/Gencon (meaning, Ropecon in Finland is almost on top of Gencon). I'd probably have spare time for something like this after that if the material caught my fancy.

Seth M. Drebitko

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 03:57:17 PM »

Due to some financial complication (being robbed) I will not so much be able to implement this contest exactly as I was hoping for a while. I will look to do something in the future and will start things back up when a budget exists.

Regards, Seth

Vulpinoid

Kitsune Trickster

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 04:30:58 PM »

I'll be keeping an eye out for this contest when it starts up again. It sounds like a great idea.

V

A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.
Seth M. Drebitko

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 05:50:27 PM »

Thanks a bunch for the response I think the thread should close now though as it is not currently applicable. Any one interested can pm me and I can keep them updated that way. I think it's more important to focus on the relevant current things people are doing. Thanks a ton though for the support.

Regards, Seth

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: