News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Basics

Started by Nathan, June 21, 2001, 02:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan

Hello,

Here is what I am considering:

Putting together a series of PDF books/adventures, 32-64 pages in length, and selling them for a price of $4.95 to $7.95.

Here are my questions though.

1) If I make money off of it, shouldn't I purchase a business license?

I think this has been asked before. I probably need it clarified though. So, if I turn a profit, I definitely should get a business license, right? If I don't, then don't worry about it right?

2) I am thinking about contracting out work to other writers/artists for some of the books. How should I handle my contracts with them?

Again, please clarify if anyone has some tips/ideas. I suppose verbal agreement would work, but I think it is just fair for everyone to know across the table, and in writing, what is going on. Should I get a lawyer to help with this?

Thanks in advance,
Nathan
-------------------------------------------
http://www.mysticages.com/
Serving imagination since '99
Eldritch Ass Kicking:
http://www.eldritchasskicking.com/
-------------------------------------------

Clay

Nathan,

You will need to check with a local resource about this matter, but here in Michigan, a business license is not necessary for a sole proprietorship with no employees.

Your community should have some stripe of small business resource center where you can get advice on this.  In Michigan, you check at the county clerk's office to file the paperwork to do business under an assumed name, and they have the information about the other resources.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Ron Edwards

Nathan,

Unless I've been committing some sort of felony or misdemeanor for nigh unto three years now, you don't need diddly, no license, no permit, no nothing.

If you profit, but less than $400 a year, it's no one's business but yours and the Devil's.

If you profit more than $400 a year, the IRS wants to know about it.

If you don't profit, then no one cares, not even the Devil.

And folks? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to lead anyone astray. However, as I said, no one wearing suits and sunglasses has busted down MY front door yet.

Best,
Ron

John Wick

Nathan, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Go to your local Chamber of Commerce and find out the income tax laws for your state. All it will cost you is some of your time.

As opposed to an audit.

Take care,

John
Carpe Deum,
John

Zak Arntson