News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Shock: 1.1 Q&A

Started by Nev the Deranged, July 27, 2007, 07:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldd23

Antagonists escalate just like Protagonists if their rolls end up on the fulcrum, right?

When you escalate, what happens to the original intent?  It's put aside while you resolve the escalation, but does it also resolve with the new, escalated intent?  Does it just turn into a failure?

Say, frex, my *tagonist is hacking into a computer database to plant evidence about my rival.  My intent is "If I succeed, the police will raid my rival and shut down his operation."  I land on the fulcrum, and the situation escalates.  Now the police are on to my hacking attempt.  What should the new intent cover, and who states it?  For this situation, it seems like there's an implied "If I fail, the police will..." going on, but who gets to fill it in?  Is it something the players should come to a consensus on, or is it up to the opposition?  And if I succeed on the escalated roll, have I also succeeded on my original intent, so the police raid my rival?

Also, for clarification, when an Antagonist fails to achieve their intent, do they get a new minutia?

Thanks,

-Greg

Joshua A.C. Newman

ldd,

It works like this: you're doing something, and you don't quite get it because stuff got more complicated. You're trying to get something, but now there's something else in the way.

In your example, the way escalation works is, your Antag set your new Intent that includes your old Intent. So if you fail, the police catch you and you don't plant the evidence. If you succeed, you plant the evidence and the popo don't catch you. I think this is a little vague in the book, but this is the way to do it that works. Often, players come to a consensus on the matter, but that's weak and I play the way I've just described.

Antags get new Minutiæ like any Minutiæ. Since the Antag player Owns the Antag, they can make up whatever they like about hir. When sie's lost a conflict is a good time, but it's not required. Really, it's just when something occurs to the player. The real character development happens to the Protag.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

biotaps35

Welcome to Lotro and Gladden. For the most part the community is pretty helpful. Every now and then you get the people who seem to cause more trouble than help but they are few and far between.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Are you a spambot? Or are you a vision of a Duchampian future?

Christoph Boeckle

Hi Joshua

He has come up a few times, Ben Lehman is tackling him as well. Duchampian future all the way!
Regards,
Christoph

Joshua A.C. Newman

It's eerie. It's really like it's struggling to gain sapience.