News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

SotC - Situation Diagrams Question

Started by Web_Weaver, July 28, 2007, 03:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Web_Weaver

Hi all,

Been flicking through Spirit of the Century and am very impressed with the Tips and Tricks section, and have a quick question. Could someone tell me where the idea for the Situation Diagrams originated as represented in the "Sketch it Out" section in Tips and tricks?

I have seen these kinds of diagrams before but I don't know what they are called or where else I have seen them.

Any web links to advice on their usage would be ideal (they are simple I know, but like many diagrams, not as easy to describe in words in text e-mails and the like).

iago

I will attempt to summon Rob!  He came up with it.

Rob Donoghue

When we did that, I'd been reading Mind Tools which is full of different diagramming styles.  I _think_ that one is a concept fan - it's a little tweaked, but that's the closest model, but it's also got a little bit of Critical Path Model thrown in.

-Rob D.
Rob Donoghue
<B>Fate</B> -
www.faterpg.com

Web_Weaver

Thanks Rob,

I can't help thinking I have seen another diagram with a closer match. However, sometimes when you see something simple and effective it can feel familiar even if you haven't seen it before. I trawled the internet before asking here with no luck so maybe I am just imagining it, I have seen so many diagram styles over the years in my work and some just merge in my head after a while.

I have to say your diagram method (which afaik isn't named officially) is a deceptively powerful tool that can be very quickly created, and ideal for quick scene framing notes. If you plan to put examples online, or have already, please post the links here, I would be very interested to see the idea developed.