News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer review at RPGnet

Started by joshua neff, June 11, 2002, 09:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua neff

Eric Brennan has written a nice review of Sorcerer that's now up on RPGnet. Just so's ya know.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Ron Edwards

Hey,

Here's the link! Thanks Eric!

Students of Sorcerer will note that the author of Sorc's only negative review has joined the discussion. No game publishing can be complete without someone, somewhere, stating that "it sucks" ...

Best,
Ron

Blake Hutchins

That's a decent review, Ron. Congratulations.

Best,

Blake

Balbinus

It wouldn't be a proper game if nobody said it sucked.

Funny, Mike is usually more detailed in his dislikes than that, he is generally a good poster.

Anyway, I note that several people have replied to his post saying the "pokemon" issue didn't arise in their games, so it seems to be something peculiar to his group.  My guess is that the game just wasn't for him, and so much wasn't that it became hard for him to see how it might be for someone else.

Good review overall I thought.
AKA max

Ron Edwards

Hey,

In the interest of fairness, I included Mike's review in the list of review links at the Sorcerer site ("About the game" page, blue menus), as it may be that others with similar tastes would be well served by reading it.

A number of his criticisms never made sense to me ... the enthusiasm of the game text is usually received positively, not negatively, for instance. And the Pokemon thing implies, to me, that both GM and players were thinking of demons as being, basically, ambulatory tools ... Certain other details led me to think that the game was being hammered into the preferred mode of play for a particular group, and criticized due to its lack of fit.

But that's all right. He was decent enough to send me a copy of the review before it went up, and in all ways Mike did the professional thing. So I'm good with it.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

Hey,

I'm not getting Mike's problem either. Is it maybe that a high number of the demons his players created had the demon itself as the User of its Abilities?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Ron Edwards

H'mmm, new thread time, I think.

Best,
Ron