News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Capes in Toronto -- Underground Comix instead of "Greater Evil"

Started by epweissengruber, August 03, 2007, 03:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epweissengruber

IndieRPG Toronto was all fired up to do the "Greater Evil" scenario.  But the facilitator couldn't make it and we were down to two players.  This is what we came up with instead:

We played a few hands of Mag*Blast while we waited for people to show.  No one did.  M*B is a non-collectible game of space combat set in the Twilight Imperium universe.  I believe we split 1:1.

Then we wandered about and, in The Devil's Advocate, sat down to look at Palladium Fantasy and to try a round of Capes.  We settled on a "deranged alternative comix" setting.  I had in mind the gross-out psychedelia of something like Zap!  or the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, or Last Gasp.  And in that vein we came up with two gross out superfreaks:  WeedMaster and Maggot Master.  We played one scene.  The setting was a loft in Greenwich Village, with the main piece of furniture being an old cable spool converted into a coffee table.  WeedMaster was depressed and smoking away as usual.  MaggotMaster was hungry.  WM's girlfriend lay passed out in WM's bedroom and MM made a move to devour her.  WM distracted MM with the prospect of hamburgers instead.  However, MM was able to get past WM's cloud of smoke and make it into the bedroom and devour Jenny.  To humiliate the hippie even further, MM decided to call the cops and make it look like WM had killed his girlfriend in a drug-addled haze.  MM claimed to have done a setup like this previously with Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen.  MM got the cops to haul WM away and mocked the degeneration of the 60's dream into degradation and violence.  Later, the spirit of Jenny attacked MM for what he had done.  He ended up going to a burrito shop (the last conflict in the scene) but did not order a veggie burrito as WM had wanted him to do -- he went out back and feasted on a rotting steak burrito and sarcastically toasted his imprisoned friend.

I think I finally have the Capes mechanics down.  Can't wait to try a non-demented version of the game.

Anyway, here are the characters:
(note the blend of Heroic and Villainous drives)

WeedMaster
(by DaveL)

Powers
Purple Haze   4
Move Narcotics   1
Puff of Smoke   3
Stone-wall   2

Styles
Let's Get High   3
Bad Trip   2
Mellow   1

Attitudes
Drug Philosophy   1
Preaching   3
Hippie   4
Disappointed   5
Living in the 60's   2

Drives
Justice   2
Fear   1 (Overdrawn @ 2)
Hope   1
Pride   3
Obsession   1

+2 Inspiration (I delayed MaggotMaster's devouring of Jenny)
+1 Inspiration (MaggotMaster did get a burrito)
3 Story Tokens

MaggotMaster
(Animal Avatar + Puppet Master)
(by ErikW)

Powers
Maggot Telepathy   2
Maggot Swarm   5
Fly Blast   4
Squashy-but-Resilient   3
Stench   1

Styles
Sneaky   2