News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Naratavist Version of D&D

Started by Narmical, August 06, 2007, 03:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narmical

The other day a new idea struck my mind.

Here is what happened.

1) I found out that a D&D 4th ed was announced/in the works

2) I was listening to an interview with one of the creators of D&D third. Talking about speculation of 4th and the design process of 3rd. he made comments like "we sat in a room and asked 'what is necessary for this game to be D&D. What can we keep, What can we get rid of?"

3) I listened to the official D&D pod cast. The hosts (game designers at wizards) made comments in one episode complaining about players "getting board when the DM describes back-story but drop a +2 sword and that gets there attention". They made reference to games that supported naratavist play through the rules. predictably they clamed that these rules weren't needed for "good story". (if only they were familiar with  GNS).

This got me thinking, what if D&D 4th released a naratavist version of the game. The designers definably want it (even if they don't know they want it). And assuming there was an easy correspondence with the current rules it would be great for people who enjoy the settings published by wizards but are looking for a naratiavist game (read me).

The question here is:

Is this a worthy idea (is it new, is it good) or is it just a misguided old hat idea?

--Mitch

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

The problem is, this isn't a viable topic for the Forge or this forum. If you'd like to design a game of your own, to publish yourself, then this is the right place. Speculating about what Hasbro/TSR might want to do, or what they will do, or what they ought to do, is a better topic for other sites.

Let's close this thread here and I welcome any other threads you start that fit better. If you have any questions about that, please send me a private message.

Best, Ron