News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I'm stuck before I can begin

Started by clockworkjoe, January 21, 2008, 09:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockworkjoe

I have an idea for a modern horror rpg. The setting, characters and so forth are easy for me to write. I even have ideas on the rules. However, I have no background in math, game theory, or statistics and I am hopelessly lost when it comes to creating new game mechanics. I don't want to use an existing system.

How do you go about designing new mechanics like conflict resolution? Where do you get the number of dice to roll, what target numbers you want to reach and so forth?I want something fairly simple but not something as easy as Risus.

For example, I want skills to reflect what a person actually learns from education, on the job training and experience. Instead of giving an ex-cop some firearms, driving, investigation and some police contacts and social skills, the character has Law Enforcement Training 3 and the character can roll on any task listed under Law Enforcement 3.However, unlike the standard 'name your power' systems, I want there to be a specific list of skills, each with a list of tasks underneath it.  Skills would go from 1-10 and the numbers would correspond with the amount of experience the characters has with it. A 1 in a skill is a hobby with minimal time spent on it, a 3 is a newly trained professional (rookie), and a 10 is a world class master who has sacrificed many things to achieve that level of skill.

chronoplasm

One thing I would suggest is to start with the flavor of the game and try to translate that into game mechanics. For example, I'm working on a game called Satanic Panic, so the game uses three six sided dice for everything (666). The point of the game is to make fun of all those misinformed people who think that D&D and Yahtzee are satanic, so I'm trying to incorporate Yahtzee rules into my game to convey that idea.

This is a modern horror game, so how do you convey a sense of fear and anxiety in the game's mechanics?

TonyLB

Joe:  Relax!  All the games you like?  They were created by people making a really awful first draft, and then tinkering about with it ... playing it with their poor abused friends and noticing where it terribly broke down, then (armed with that knowledge of how things work) remaking it better.  You sound like you're unwilling to begin until you see the path to the finish.  I'm pretty sure, though, that it's not supposed to work that way.  You begin on faith, and then the path either opens or doesn't as you move forward.

Now, on number of dice, and target numbers:  Some popular-mechanics level statistics ...

• A single die, compared against a number, will provide the least predictable results.
  • More dice, added together, provide progressively more predictable results compared with the scale of the total:  1d10 can provide a 10 as easily as a 5.  100d10 will very, very, very rarely total to anything outside the 400-600 band.
  • So if you want a sense of grim inevitability then give people lots of dice.  If you want wildly unpredictable successes and heart-breaking failures give them just a few.
I hope this helps!
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Selene Tan

John Kim's system design has some useful links and articles about mechanics. In particular, you may want to check out the comparisons of dice mechanics, and Torben Morgensen's article about dice probabilities.

Those two articles should help you decide where to start with the mechanics. The rest, as Tony said, is about playtesting. Just pick a starting point and go for it!
RPG Theory Wiki
UeberDice - Dice rolls and distribution statistics with pretty graphs

clockworkjoe

Thanks for the advice. I now have a starting point to begin designing. I'm very intrigued by the fact that the number of dice rolled sets the predictability.

My new idea: Set the conflict resolution mechanic on rolling two types of dice. For example, normal skill checks use a 3d6 roll, like GURPS but supernatural/desperate characters can spend resources or make a sacrifice of some sort to roll a d20 instead of 3d6. Rolling a 1-3 or 18-20 gives vastly disproportional results when compared to 4-17 and a d20 roll intensifies the result regardless of the number rolled.

Skill and attributes don't affect the roll, but cap the max level of success and minimize the effect of failure on a normal 3d6 skill check. D20 rolls are more dangerous for the PC as skills and attributes don't minimize failure on those rolls.

How does that sound?

Ken

Quote from: clockworkjoe on January 23, 2008, 02:29:42 AM
My new idea: Set the conflict resolution mechanic on rolling two types of dice. For example, normal skill checks use a 3d6 roll, like GURPS but supernatural/desperate characters can spend resources or make a sacrifice of some sort to roll a d20 instead of 3d6. Rolling a 1-3 or 18-20 gives vastly disproportional results when compared to 4-17 and a d20 roll intensifies the result regardless of the number rolled.

Skill and attributes don't affect the roll, but cap the max level of success and minimize the effect of failure on a normal 3d6 skill check. D20 rolls are more dangerous for the PC as skills and attributes don't minimize failure on those rolls.

How does that sound?

That sounds like a good starting point. And, with that, I'd like to offer a few more pieces of advice.

1) Be flexible. As you start stacking mechanics and ideas on top of each other, some of the things that were brilliant when you came up with them may not fit so perfectly as your rules start to develop. There was a great post on that here a few years ago, but I'm not sure where to find it now. One of the points that stuck with me was that sometimes a mechanic or game dynamic may hang around in your design long enough to inspire more refined ideas and then no longer fits so well and has to be let go (it has serviced its purpose). I was glad to have read that, because it eased the impact of throwing out ideas that I loved but no longer seemed to work.

2) PLAYTEST! Not just when you're finished, but now; everyday, whether its with a group or by yourself. Take what you've got (no matter how small) and roll some dice. When you start adding stuff, roll more dice and see if anything has changed; and how. I constantly found myself running numbers and hypotheticals in my head to test the mechanics of Ten-Cent Heroes. Those little episodes, helped me keep perspective and direct the development in the right direction. I put together a print copy with only half the powers finished and ran a bunch games. It was eye-opening. Plenty of things didn't work the way I thought they would, but I wasn't so far along that I  couldn't reign the rules back in.

3) I say this a lot, and its more my personal style then anything else, but I would try to take whatever it is about your chosen genre that excites you and makes itself distinct and inject that into your rules. Chronoplasm's 666 thing was pretty cute, and I've tried to do something similar with Ten-Cent Heroes. That may not work for everyone, so don't feel like its a must; I tend to get drawn to quirky games who have wrapped its mechanics around genre staples and conventions.

Looking forward to seeing more. Keep it up, and good luck,

Ken
Ken

10-Cent Heroes; check out my blog:
http://ten-centheroes.blogspot.com

Sync; my techno-horror 2-pager
http://members.cox.net/laberday/sync.pdf

Mike Sugarbaker

Alarmingly, no one has yet chimed in with this tactic: have you thought about taking the setting ideas you've got, grabbing a pre-existing system and playing with it for a few sessions, then noting where that system supported your setting's desired feel and where it didn't? As much as I fear advising people to start designing from someone else's end point (that is, from someone else's finished system), having problems with an existing system could give you some helpful signposts as to where to take your new system. Worst case scenario, of course, is that you have no problems with another system and you save yourself a lot of work. :-)

And as an aside: the number of dice rolled doesn't always set the probability, certainly not always in the same way, and (most importantly) not always in a way that really means something. The hardest thing about mechanics (for me, anyway) is that none of them ever exist in a vacuum - everything that surrounds them is going to affect them and alter their effectiveness.

The best advice I've ever seen for how to think about mechanics is in this old blog post of Vincent Baker's. That post got infected with a horrible and irrelevant debate in the comments, so I'll summarize: don't focus on the fictional stuff you're trying to simulate; focus on the experiences you want the PLAYERS to have.
Publisher/Co-Editor, OgreCave
Caretaker, Planet Story Games
Content Admin, Story Games Codex

clockworkjoe

I guess I am on the first step towards game design enlightenment. This has given me a lot to think about. I will be back as soon as I get something written.