News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Roach] First person narration

Started by JC, August 19, 2007, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

hi :)

just played The Roach, and it was the first time for all of us

so I'm curious: how much first-person narration do you usually get with this game?

we had almost none

most of it was "he does this, then this happens, etc."

not a problem as such, but I'm just wondering if it's always like this, or if we just naturally settled into third-person

Jason Morningstar

Hi, JC!

Good question.  The answer is that it depends on the group - in my experience, that's more of a social contract issue - each group has its own standards regarding how to interact.  I've played with groups that were all about framing scenes and then playing them out in first person, like actors, but I've also played with groups that looked at it as more of a story they were telling collectively.  It works both ways.  My preference is to mix it up a bit - sometimes a nice third person scene where you're describing some activity from a remove adds spice, and at other times putting on a silly accent and stepping into a character is satisfying as well. 

I hope you had fun, anyway!  Tell us about your game!

JC

Quote from: Jason Morningstar on August 20, 2007, 07:43:24 PM
Good question.  The answer is that it depends on the group - in my experience, that's more of a social contract issue - each group has its own standards regarding how to interact.  I've played with groups that were all about framing scenes and then playing them out in first person, like actors, but I've also played with groups that looked at it as more of a story they were telling collectively.  It works both ways.  My preference is to mix it up a bit - sometimes a nice third person scene where you're describing some activity from a remove adds spice, and at other times putting on a silly accent and stepping into a character is satisfying as well. 
thanks for your answer

now that I think about it, I guess it all depends on whether what's more important is what the characters do, or what they say

we had a little dialogue, but in the end, it was all about who set whom on fire

Quote from: Jason Morningstar on August 20, 2007, 07:43:24 PM
I hope you had fun, anyway!  Tell us about your game!
it's all in the AP thread :)