News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Seneschal?

Started by gnarf, June 12, 2002, 03:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnarf

I must say, I'm really looking forward to the release of tROS. From what I've read in this forum and the reviews at rpg.net, both the game mechanics and the campaign world appear to be downright brilliant - in particular the spiritual attributes, and the way the game handles magic: rare but powerful. (and that it also ages sorcerers is pretty kewl).

Anyway, I have a question regarding the tROS term for GM, "Seneschal". Does it have an actual meaning, or is it a self-invented word? Just curious..
Anders Frang
gnarf@post.tele.dk

Furious D

Quote from: gnarf

Anyway, I have a question regarding the tROS term for GM, "Seneschal". Does it have an actual meaning, or is it a self-invented word? Just curious..

From dictionary.com

sen·e·schal   Pronunciation Key  (sn-shl)
n.
An official in a medieval noble household in charge of domestic arrangements and the administration of servants; a steward or major-domo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, from Old French, of Germanic origin.]

Mokkurkalfe

Please look up Book Eight, page 209, column 1:

Seneschal
(sen'e shal)- n. steward, major-domo or bailiff who represents his Lord in the feudal courts and in the management of his estates.

But what is a major-domo?
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Mokkurkalfe

Damn you for posting one minute before me! :-D
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Jake Norwood

Major Domo is Latin, meaning "the greater one in the household," referring to the guy in charge, but not the "greatest" one in the household, which would, theoretically, be the Maximus domo.

Jake, the Linguist
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Valamir

Domo as in the same word that brought us Domestic and Domicile

When I see Major Domo, I always think:  Higgins from Magnum P.I.