News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Hi! I am an editor looking for freelance work

Started by Anubisgrrl, August 23, 2007, 02:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anubisgrrl

Hello,

I am posting as a result of several conversations at GenCon Indy. A number of people said that they were looking for a good content editor and other editorial support. So, I am here to offer my services as a professional editor.

I have worked both inside and outside the gaming industry. I was production editor for Hogshead Publishing for several years, producing many Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, SLA Industries, and New Style products. I was also part of the three-person design team that produced Nobilis, 2nd Edition, which received an Origins award for design in 2002. Prior to that, I edited and produced Games Games Games magazine in Britain.

I am currently working as a professional technical editor in New Mexico. While I appreciate the steady income, I miss being involved in the games industry and producing books. Thus, I am seeking additional freelance editing work.

My rates are competitive and negotiable based on the scope of the work. I understand the challenges that independent publishers and individual designers face, and I try to offer services that will fit into any budget. Generally, my hourly rate for proofreading, light copy editing, and basic indexing of a draft—a process that every game deserves—starts at $15. I tend to charge more for substantial or developmental editing, research, and rush jobs. I am happy to negotiate a flat fee if that is preferable.

I have worked in every aspect of publishing over the last 16 years. In addition to editorial services, I can assist with desktop publishing and design, game mechanics development, commissioning artists, print buying, web content design and development, and production scheduling. I have also co-written several live-action role-playing games and organized events including games days, board games conventions, and LARP weekends.

I derive satisfaction from helping people get their point across, their way, in the best possible way. To that end, I want to help you communicate clearly and effectively so that as many players as possible can enjoy your games. The best ideas in the world don't get very far if your audience can't understand what you are trying to say. As an editor, I want to work with you to refine your style, your voice.

I currently edit in Word using the track changes function, but I am proficient in PageMaker, Adobe Acrobat Professional, MS Publisher, and WordPerfect. I can accommodate whatever software needs you may have, and I am fully accessible via email.

Drop me a line if you are interested in any the services I offer.

Thank you.

Carol Johnson
anubisgrrl at aol dot com