News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How do I make a body jump spell?

Started by Ace, June 12, 2002, 05:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaif

QuoteI really, really think it's a mistake to attempt to apply more than just the most basic of physics to a fantasy setting..

I actually agree.  I wouldn't let a sorcerer apply advanced physics knowledge in my campaigns.  We're talking about a discipline that's built slowly over generations of work by hundreds or thousands of people.  It's the whole "standing on the shoulders of giants" thing.

Said another way, just because people have the power to see anything doesn't mean they'll understand what they see, nor how it all runs together.

Oh, my whole U235 thing was just a joke.  I'm surprised how much "leg" its had. :-)

-Jeff

P.S. There's an exception to all rules.  Assume the nine are in your campaign, and are still walking around after a bazillion years.  They have very keen minds, and have watched how things work for generations.  It would be interesting for them to generate (say) electrical effects that no other sorcerer can conceive of.  Even a sorcerer who observes the spell and its effects can't figure it out, because they lack the knowledge to interpret what's happening correctly.

P.P.S. Which would make it very funny to watch one of the nine polarize the spear heads of a number of soldiers in formation.  That aughta be good for grins and giggles. :-)

Ben

Quote from: Jake NorwoodUm, I think the man you need to talk to is Rick. I just have opinions and interpretations.
Hey Rick!
I can't beleive you wormed your way out of that! err...

Quote from: JaifI actually agree. I wouldn't let a sorcerer apply advanced physics knowledge in my campaigns. We're talking about a discipline that's built slowly over generations of work by hundreds or thousands of people. It's the whole "standing on the shoulders of giants" thing.
Said another way, just because people have the power to see anything doesn't mean they'll understand what they see, nor how it all runs together.
I actually hadn't considered how long it would take someone to work out all that from scratch. I suppose unless one was advanced in years and had dedicated almost his whole life to one area of study or someone had access to a large wealth of knowlege(very unlikly on Wyerth) they really wouldn't have much of a clue about such stuff just from looking at it. Hmh, I stand corrected.

your thought on the nine is funny too.
Be Seeing You,

Ben

Rick

Man you all have no idea how satisfying it is to see all of these discussions going on.  That's what I'd imagine happens at wizard colleges.  You all have had great insights into the possibilities and downfalls of magic use.  To be honest, all level 3 vagaries were designed to be insane.  As pressure on a hero, I really liked the thought of a vengeful opponent having the capability to destroy the earth.  Sure, you could blow it up with movement, or spread a plague with growth, use sculpture to disintegrate the ozone layer or whatever.  But like Jake said when I was writing it, "I could jack that in so many ways...."  And you guys are having some bitchin' thoughts.  

I can offer a piece of opinion to those wishing for a game with more of a Conan style feel though: Simply limit the maximum vagary level to 2.  That eliminates most concerns and is still enjoyable to play.  

I'd personally agree with the necessity of the related science to any given action concerning a spell.  But to do so, you as the player are going to have to learn about whatever it is that you want to do, and in doing so you gain ACTUAL knowledge, which can then be debated as it is here.  If I were going to disintegrate myself, I would damn well want to make sure I'd be reintegrated before I tried it, so I'd find or try to find someone who knew about it and ask em some questions.  That principal meshes very nicely with swordfighting and philosophy IMO.  Souls and science exist in our world today, at the focus of even more debates. Stealing bodies is cool, planning on making yourself immortal, dandy.  I guess I have to ask would YOU do if you were able to wield magic?  It's kind of like being a grown up in a way.  On the Seneschal side, as spells can be inverted you have the ultimate caveat to any confounded skullduggery if necessary.  (Hey, even bad guys like living).  Besides, can you imagine botching a nuke?  Yuk.

Hail,

Rick

Jake Norwood

Hey Rick, nice to see you in here.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant