Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 02:47:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 66 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lighting a Black Fire  (Read 3194 times)
Marhault

« on: August 24, 2007, 10:59:08 AM »

url=http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=9972.0]Black Fire, you can never have too many buckles and Black Fire - developing for play testBlack Fire - developing for play test
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:56:51 PM »

Yeesh! That's a blast from the past.

I'll try to come up with reasonable answers, although I'll be first to say that certain elements of what you're asking about were black-boxed, to be developed later if the larger-scale issues worked out OK.

As for art, I did commission some, but never received it. Too bad. I loves my skulls & buckles, and I still have very clear mental images of what my player-characters for the game would look like.

Best, Ron
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 11:34:57 AM »

Hello,

I hope this gets to you in time for your game.

Marhault

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »

Ron,

Great!  Thanks for the help!  There's still plenty of time before the game.

Whew! I can answer this. It should be the attacking character's goal, with the implication that one is motivated primarily by that goal and trying to get through the other character to do it.

On the other hand, now that you've mentioned that it could be the defending character's goal, my mind says, "Hey, that could work," but I am suppressing the impulse. The attacking character uses his or her own goal target number as his or her own target number when attacking another player-character.

Darn.  I liked it better the other way.

As a final point, I always thought of this as a six-to-eight person game, in order for seating to matter and for multiple simultaneous resolution to be a really shattering series of events. I don't really think of it as working with only three or four people total. However, I don't have any real experience in judging this assumption. How many people do you think you'll have?

Well, right now we've got four total.  We may pull in a couple more, but I don't see us getting up to eight people.  I see seating as mattering mostly at the point where the Black Pool dwindles.  This will happen faster in a larger game, but I think the punch would still be there.  Especially since Twisting the Knife hurts everybody equally.  Am I missing something?

Straps! Tatters! Let the gaming commence!

Best, Ron

Hell yeah!

[edited by me to fix quoting format - RE]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:39:55 PM by Ron Edwards » Logged
Marhault

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 11:07:40 AM »

I totally screwed up the quote tags in that last post.  The paragraph immediately following the second quote box is Ron's.
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 06:42:28 PM »

Fixed the quotes!

You're right, the Vow isn't assigned its own target number.

I think I know why I set up the target numbers for player-player combat the way I did. The Goals are a big deal, in the game, and relative to winning. I wanted to reward striving for them, and making people think twice about getting in the way of characters who have them. Otherwise, the winning tactic would be to hang back and not state Goals, then Vow to stop people who have them. But if the Goal target number is high, then look out - that guy is going to be hard to stop.

Best, Ron
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: