News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Duck & Weave

Started by Brian Leybourne, June 13, 2002, 12:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Leybourne

Hey Jake,

Any erata on Duck & Weave? Been playing around with the combat sim etc, and it seems to me that TN9 is a pretty steep difficulty for an evasive move. If an opponent attacks me with even as few as 4 dice (diff 6 lets say), he'll expect to get 2 successes. I need three defense successes, which with only a 2/10 chance means I need to assign 15 dice to duck & weve to make it even.

OK, I'll admit the benefit is pretty nice, he loses half the dice from this attack on the next, but in fact that makes D&W even less useful - it's only of use if he assigns a lot of dice (half of sod all is sod all, right) but that means it's even LESS likely that I can beat his successes with TN9.

TN8 seems more reasonable to me.. any thoughts?
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Mokkurkalfe

Agree with you here, altough Jake made some changes to the Duck&Weave. I think it was that you cannot parry the next attack if the other guy pulled of a Duck&Weave. Useful if you want to get around a shield.
Yet again, I still agree with you, TN 9 is a little to steep.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Jaif

Just a thought, and I haven't thought this through on the margins, but why not change the TN based on the relative move scores?  This will take armor into effect as well.

So if you have a move of 7, and your armored opponent a 4, you have a TN of 6 instead of 9.

Again, I haven't thought this all the way through - the numbers may be too damning to armor.

-Jeff