News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Playtesting/Reviewing the QuickStart

Started by Jake Norwood, June 10, 2002, 03:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Norwood

Many of you mentioned in the past a willingness to review and playtest the quickstart rules. Well, the first draft is finished and now is your time. For now only folks that have the core rules are eligible, although in a few days the playtest call will open to a wider range of folks, including (and especially) those that don't have the book.

Email me at norwood@theriddleofsteel.com to get in on this.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Lance D. Allen

I assume it is acceptable to make this available to our players?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Jake Norwood

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Lance D. Allen

Excellent. If I can get this by Thursday and print out a copy or two, it ought to reduce the amount of book passing that goes on at the table. For the most part, I prefer to keep my book firmly in my hands, and just answer any questions that come up, but this doesn't always jive with the players.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing

Lance D. Allen

3 notes on the format/content, without getting into rules...

1. There are various mentions of tables, to include, in large print at the top of the file, "DON'T FORGET THE TABLES!!!". I assume this is part of the reason why this version is available only to those with the book, and the tables will be added in the revised Quickstart.

2. The Maneuvers of Beat, Stop Short, and Feint should be posted with the Revisions. (Also, is the ability to feint from a thrust limited only to the rapier? If not, what other weapons can feint from a thrust?) Just a reminder.

3. There needs to be a character creation section. I dunno if this is also "in the works" but IME, Quickstart rules include very pared-down chargen rules, or at least sample characters (mentioned at the bottom of the file) so that the prospective players can play the game.. Gotta have characters, after all.

I'm sure that all of this is plainly obvious, but these are the only glaring omissions at this time.

Also, the file itself is around 30 pgs already.. You might want to pare down some of the stuff even more. For example, rather than fully explain the vagaries and how spells and spell design works, perhaps just include some spells, and cite the required vagaries and levels the quickstart characters must have to cast them. Also, I'd suggest getting rid entirely of certain maneuvers.. those that don't have directly damaging implications. MENTION them in the Proficiency descriptions, just do not have the actual maneuver described... Make 'em a teaser, so the players will be more interested in buying the book when it comes out, to see how all of these other maneuvers work. Maneuvers that *I* think should be tossed from the quickstart are: Bind and Strike, Block Open and Strike, Beat, Toss and Expulsion. That would leave: Cut, Feint, Simul. Block/Strike, Thrust, Block, Parry, Half-sword, Grapple, Punch, and Kick.

Include as well a very limited selection of weapons and armor. Arming Sword, Rapier, Dagger, Dopplehander, Bow, Heater Shield, Chain Shirt, Chain Suit, and Full Plate.. This would also allow you to leave out entirely the Bashing Tables... or no, damnit.. Okay, from above, drop punch and kick ;-p.

Oh well. Just some suggestions on what I think would improve effectiveness of the Quickstart Rules, both as a way to get familiar with TRoS, and to act as a teaser for the game itself.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing