News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sci-Fi RPG Concept

Started by zakueins, July 25, 2007, 01:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Riemenschneider

Hi!

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about Theory (yet), but I humbly regurgitate (sp?) the following advice...

Any special mechanics/rules you make up, that deviate from the normal rolls your game can call for, tells you what areas of the game are *important.* For example, nearly every game out there has a special rules section for Combat. This tells you that the game designer expected that Combat was important enough a concept in the game that it needed it's own bloody section.

So, not only should you look to make sure your basic mechanic systems follow your goals (dramatic situations described in detail, and dramatic characters), but you'll want to think long and hard about what types of resolution will deserve their own special sections in your game.

If you want political intrigue to play heavily, write up a section of special rules on it. Same for your starship encounters (macro space combat), tech-specific problem solving, etc.

Sounds like you've got a pretty interesting idea cooking up here. Keep it up!
Creator and Publisher of Other Court Games.
www.othercourt.com
http://othercourt.livejournal.com/
http://www.myspace.com/othercourt

Vulpinoid

Quick suggestion.

The setting you're describing, and the concept of minor/major merits and flaws.

Why re-invent the wheel?

Just play "Serenity" but devise your own setting for it.

It's got the frontiers, it's got the human only sci-fi setting, it's got limited psychic powers which could be used to reflect more unusual aspects of the nanotechnology described.

Just an idea.

V

A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.

zakueins

So far...the only different set of rules will be for vehicle/starship combat, and that's to have a more "depth" to the rules (and to handle things that go bang).  The combat rules handle any sort of conflict, from social to shooting somebody-the only difference is how the damage is taken and a few other things. 

Oh, there might be more...but I want to have the rules with a highest level of commonality with each other as possible.

Quote from: Capulet on August 19, 2007, 06:24:22 PM
Hi!

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about Theory (yet), but I humbly regurgitate (sp?) the following advice...

Any special mechanics/rules you make up, that deviate from the normal rolls your game can call for, tells you what areas of the game are *important.* For example, nearly every game out there has a special rules section for Combat. This tells you that the game designer expected that Combat was important enough a concept in the game that it needed it's own bloody section.

So, not only should you look to make sure your basic mechanic systems follow your goals (dramatic situations described in detail, and dramatic characters), but you'll want to think long and hard about what types of resolution will deserve their own special sections in your game.

If you want political intrigue to play heavily, write up a section of special rules on it. Same for your starship encounters (macro space combat), tech-specific problem solving, etc.

Sounds like you've got a pretty interesting idea cooking up here. Keep it up!

brainwipe

As for background, be careful how you specify the technology. It is very easy to end up with a setting that isn't believable because you can do X and not Y. Having reasons in place is a good idea, rather than saying "It just is". When players try and make their own technology (and they will), the GM will need a nice firm base on which to say yes and no.

Just something I found with Icar.

zakueins

Thanks!  I know, I'm being careful about the tech...

Quote from: brainwipe on August 22, 2007, 10:16:48 AM
As for background, be careful how you specify the technology. It is very easy to end up with a setting that isn't believable because you can do X and not Y. Having reasons in place is a good idea, rather than saying "It just is". When players try and make their own technology (and they will), the GM will need a nice firm base on which to say yes and no.

Just something I found with Icar.

zakueins

Just some info to keep myself interested...

Armor-This counts as anything from natural armor to a general sort of "I'm too busy to bleed" toughness.  Players whom buy armor can use it to reduce damage that gets through other protection before it does HP damage.
Calling-A Calling is a invocation or a kind of "destiny" that binds a character to a power greater than themselves. Priests have a Calling, mages in some settings have a Calling.  The rating of the Calling is based upon what levels of power a player can draw from a Calling, and what obligations the player has to maintain the Calling-it is entirely possible for a Calling to be a disadvantage.
Funding/Marker-The player either has a source of cash or material resources, or owes somebody a significant debt that has to be paid off on a regular basis.  The rating indicates what they can afford to pay-or what they owe.

Quote from: zakueins on August 17, 2007, 01:55:05 AM
A rough list of Advantages and Disadvantages in the rule set I'm working on.  Will add a bit more detail later.  Anything that has two items to it marks an item that can either be advantage or disadvantage.

•   Advantage (Social, Physical, Mental)/Disadvantage
•   Armor
•   Ally/Enemy
•   Anonimity/Publicity
•   Assistance/Bane
•   Boon/Mark
•   Calling
•   Contact
•   Dependent
•   Follower
•   Favor
•   Friend/Foe
•   Funding/Marker
•   Giri
•   Henchmen
•   Hospitality (Type)
•   Informant
•   License To (do something)
•   Minion/Foe
•   Money/Debt
•   Patron/Nemesis
•   Obligation
•   Rank (social, political, religious, military)
•   Signature Item(major, minor)
•   Ship-Owner
•   Time-Sensitive
•   Unknown/Infamous
•   Unique Item (major, minor)