News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Legal Advice on Creating Particular Web Site

Started by Ishmayl, September 03, 2007, 10:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ishmayl

Hey guys,
I hope this is the proper forum for this; someone from my website recommended I ask this question over here.  I don't know if you can help me with this or not, but I'm trying to figure something out in terms of legality.  There is a person over at the WotC message boards who has written a 200+ page supplement to the WotC product, "Tome of Magic."  He would like to put all his material on a web site, and has contacted me about creating one for him.  However, WotC's "Tome of Magic" was never released under their OGL, so I'm a little concerned about this kind of material being put up.  Everything he has created is original, but it does reference mechanics and names that WotC put in their book that was never released to OGL.  If you guys don't know about this, is there anyone you could recommend I ask?
Thanks,
Brandon
the Campaign Builders' Guild <dot> org - Come join as campaign builders from across the globe get together to discuss ideas, share their campaign, and create new worlds.

Ron Edwards

Hi Brandon,

Your only recourse is actually to go to the law. We've compiled links to internet resources that speak directly to IP, copyright, and related issues. They can be found in the sticky post at the top of this forum (Publishing).

An internet site's worth of opinions is the worst possible option for you. That is why I'm now saying, no one is to post to this thread. It is closed.

That's not a slam on you, Brandon. I hope that the links will help. Using the official information will be more useful than a million semi-informed opinions on what WotC, the courts, the lawyers, and possibly the Miss Rheingold Beauty Pageant will think and do.

Best, Ron

Ishmayl

the Campaign Builders' Guild <dot> org - Come join as campaign builders from across the globe get together to discuss ideas, share their campaign, and create new worlds.

Ron Edwards

Sigh ...

At this website, when I post "this thread is closed," it means no one is to post to it again. Not to say "thanks," not to say "it was wonderful and you are brilliant," not to say "fuck off and die," not to say "sorry," not to get in that last little genius insight - not at all.

It's not like the internet. It's the Forge.

This has been a public service announcement. No further posting, please.

Best, Ron