News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Why I'm additcted to tRoS.

Started by Bob Richter, June 13, 2002, 10:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Richter

It's official. I am now addicted to the Riddle of Steel.

I'm playing in two campaigns, Seneschaling another, and character concepts still haunt my dreams.

I'm seriously considering making a character generator program.

But WHY do I love this game so much?

Well --
1) A fun character-creation system. Now, if only it had flexible priorities.

2) The greatest combat system ever (well, TMK and IMHO) -- no longer will my character, who's supposed to be fearless, stand in defiance of a god and be told "His AC is 77, you'll never hit him" or "He's got 378 hitpoints, you'll never kill him in time." No, rather, I'll probably just DIE for my error. Far less stupid. Far more satisfying.

3) I don't get kudos for killing things, and character advancement is CHARACTER-DRIVEN (Oh, I do SO love this.)

4) The Sorcery system is alternatively amusing and annoying. It needs some work, but it will be worth it.

So, yeah. I thought it was time for a friendlyhappy Ilovethisgame post so that noone would forget that I really do, for all I blast it. :)
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...

Lance D. Allen

1. Yup.

2. Yup.

3. Yup.

4. Yup.

Seems we agree on all fronts. Despite not having (yet) played the game on my side, I can agree that all of these points are things I like about the game, even without having played it. It could be better (hell, nothing's perfect) but it's already heads-and-shoulders above most games I've played, and a definite amount better than my own current efforts. It's a level to aspire to in my own game, even though the goals are different.

So, yeah. Add my kudos, even though I've never really blasted the game.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Bob Richter
I'm seriously considering making a character generator program.

Give me a yell if/when you decide you want to do so. I've been doing some preliminary work on a character generator that will be linked to the combat simulator (so you can see how well the character you just made will survive).

Have not got all that far yet, since I have been concentrating on bringing the combat sim back up to speed and also writing up some stuff for Jake.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Rattlehead

I'm still working on my "Chargen of Steel" as well. Been hard to find the time to devote to it, but it's still there... I might pare back my plans for it and just settle for a "bare-bones" initial release... I dunno... Still much work to be done though...

Brandon
Grooby!

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: RattleheadI'm still working on my "Chargen of Steel" as well. Been hard to find the time to devote to it, but it's still there... I might pare back my plans for it and just settle for a "bare-bones" initial release... I dunno... Still much work to be done though...

Brandon

Oh well, if there are others working on one I wont bother then. Seems a waste of time to make multiples of the same thing.

Means I can concentrate on the combat sim more anyway.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Rattlehead

Brian,
   I do still hope to enable users to export in the format you're using for the combat sim. When I get to that point, I'll let you know and we can work out the details of the format.

Brandon
Grooby!

Spartan

Quote from: Bob RichterIt's official. I am now addicted to the Riddle of Steel.
At least you have a copy to be addicted to! ;)  I've been checking out the windows tROS combat program, and now I'm eager to know more!

I suppose I should introduce myself while I'm here writing my first post, so no one has to wonder "Who the heck is this guy?".  My name is Mark, and I've been playing rpgs for about 13 years.  I'm currently running a Harn campaign, using HMG rules.  I'm also a fan of Rolemaster and C&S, and I'm a musician by trade.  I haven't been this excited to see a new rule system come out in a long time.  The waiting is driving me nuts!!!  And I only found out about tROS a few days ago.!

You never know, I just might start using tROS for my Harn campaign.  One thing's for certain, I'll be using it in a campaign as soon as I possibly can.  Nice forum you guys have here, btw!

be seeing you around,
                        -Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

Bob Richter

Quote from: Spartan
Quote from: Bob RichterIt's official. I am now addicted to the Riddle of Steel.
At least you have a copy to be addicted to! ;)  I've been checking out the windows tROS combat program, and now I'm eager to know more!

I'm sure there's something to be done about that.

Maybe meet up with some of us whacky OpenRPG folx and get a player-level introduction. Maybe.
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...

Spartan

Quote from: Bob RichterMaybe meet up with some of us whacky OpenRPG folx and get a player-level introduction. Maybe.
Don't make me beg... ;)

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: SpartanAt least you have a copy to be addicted to! ;)  I've been checking out the windows tROS combat program, and now I'm eager to know more!
-Mark

I can't tell you how pleased that makes me. That was, after all, the entire point of the combat simulator.

Well, to have fun with tRoS combat too, of course, but it's value as an advertisement for the system was top of the list.

V2 is almost ready btw. It has most of the combat options missing from v0.99b and is pretty fully functional. About the only thing you can't do is grapple or change weapons during a combat (although now that I think about it, adding an option to drop a weapon and pull a dagger, would be easy enough) and I'm having some grief with stealing initiative in the instance where a defender elects to attack instead of defending (this is not the same as a declared red/red, I'm talkiing about red/white where the defender says "bugger it, I'll attack anyway". Red/red works fine).

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Spartan

Quote from: BrianLI can't tell you how pleased that makes me. That was, after all, the entire point of the combat simulator.
Well, it fulfilled its purpose admirably.  I can't tell you how pleased I was to find your program and get to use it.

regards,
     -Mark