News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Confused about where to contribute reference resources.

Started by Ian Mclean, September 23, 2007, 12:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Mclean

I often enough find interesting books and other resources regarding game development and design. I would like to post them for people to look at and consider; especially, since a lot of content regarding game studies is coming out of the wood works. I believe that these resources would be a boon to those of the site.

Is there a place where one would post such resource and if not, then why?

Ron Edwards

Hi Ian,

I'd like to see those too! Here's how to do it.

First, you do some analysis of your own: compare what a given reference is saying, in a chapter or whatever, to some actual experiences of yours during role-playing. Does it fit? Does it work? Does it seem to miss a point to you?

Second, describe the experiences of play as well so the readers can understand your perspective. This is absolutely required, because one person's immersion is another person's grandstanding, and one person's GMing is another person's railroading, and one person's realism is person's game-stopper. We'll be reading your post - but to understand it, we have to know what you mean by terms that will do nothing but rouse emotion and cause confusion otherwise.

Therefore, your forum for this purpose is Actual Play. Yes, this is the theory forum - when discussions of ideas are clarified by describing play, they work. Otherwise, they don't. I hope to see you there!

Best, Ron