News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[InSpectres] Through the keyhole...

Started by Zebigone, September 18, 2007, 05:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zebigone

So, a month ago, we had first session of InSpectres with my gaming group. We usually play boardgames, but I wanted to try some indy rpgs with them (I might try Chris Chinn's progression in http://bankuei.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/play-then-theory/).

It was pretty much like loosing once "narrativistic virginity", a first time with mostly problems, without knowing what can be done and to what extent.

So, we had an infestion in the campus, which, after some investigations, seemed to come from janitor's closet in which, furthermore, the light would go on and off all the time. Then, one character said she peeps through the keyhole... and I didn't know how to handle it. Should I let her narrate what she sees, or should I ask for some skill roll. But then, which skill?

This illustrates pretty well how much uncomfortable I was regarding inputs, from the players and from me. When should I call for a roll, and when can I, the GM, add elements? Since I was a bit shy with the pacing and the stress rolls, the game was too flat, I'm afraid.

Olivier

Jared A. Sorensen

Lots of apologizing and wet spots? Yeah, sounds familiar.

Here's the deal with InSpectres: if a player does something and you know/think they want a particular outcome, give it to them OR make them roll for it. If a player does something and you suspect they want a particular outcome but you're not sure what that outcome is, make them roll for it. If a player does something and you want to flat-out say what happens, then just say it. But if you want the player to have a say, make the player roll for it every time.

As for what skill to roll, in the keyhole example I'd say Academics... because then the player not only has to say what she sees, but she also has to relate how her memory and knowledge are able to glean information from what she witnesses.

Quote from: Zebigone on September 18, 2007, 05:44:50 AM
It was pretty much like loosing once "narrativistic virginity", a first time with mostly problems, without knowing what can be done and to what extent.

So, we had an infestion in the campus, which, after some investigations, seemed to come from janitor's closet in which, furthermore, the light would go on and off all the time. Then, one character said she peeps through the keyhole... and I didn't know how to handle it. Should I let her narrate what she sees, or should I ask for some skill roll. But then, which skill?

This illustrates pretty well how much uncomfortable I was regarding inputs, from the players and from me. When should I call for a roll, and when can I, the GM, add elements? Since I was a bit shy with the pacing and the stress rolls, the game was too flat, I'm afraid.

Olivier

jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Zebigone

Ok, that's a neat piece of advice. Simple rules, looks very usefull.

Thanks a lot. I hope I'll have another session soon.

Olivier

Quote from: Jared A. Sorensen on September 20, 2007, 11:32:51 PM
Here's the deal with InSpectres:
If a player does something and you...

• ...know/think they want a particular outcome, give it to them OR make them roll for it.
  • ...suspect they want a particular outcome but you're not sure what that outcome is, make them roll for it.
  • ...want to flat-out say what happens, then just say it. But if you want the player to have a say, make the player roll for it every time.