News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Decent hosting hard to find?

Started by Seth M. Drebitko, September 13, 2007, 02:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth M. Drebitko

I am faced with a dilemma as a test version of my game draws near I am not sure where to host my site. The problem is I want a balance between good support and decent price, as I am not very net savvy myself. If any one can help me out I would greatly appreciated it as the closest thing I can find to reviews are hyped up affiliate links, and recommendations on only where not to go.

Thanks in advance for any help in giving a little review of some host services you think might be good to try out.
Regards, Seth
MicroLite20 at www.KoboldEnterprise.com
The adventure's just begun!

David Artman

I host my personal domain and GLASScutters.org with GoDaddy.com and I have had no complaints. If you know you're going to remain with them for over a year, their monthly rates get pretty low; but even with month-to-month Economy Hosting, I am paying $4 a month for 5 GB of storage, 100 10-GB e-mail inboxes (I use two of them), 50 e-mail forwarding accounts (I use about 30 of them), and 250 GB of bandwidth. EACH domain (i.e. 200 e-mails, 100 forwards).

Add to that some solid support applications (control panels, MySQL database setup, auto-installers, site stats) and it's a soup-to-nuts solution for less than $40 a year. I have found a few "better" deals, but not from such reliable hosts. I can recommend them without reservation (and, no, I don't work for them or get any kick-back... uh, I don't think. Maybe you could mention "DCArtman" as a referral, if you register with them, and they'll throw me a free month or something...?).
:)

David
Designer - GLASS, Icehouse Games
Editor - Perfect, Passages

TwoCrows

xenopulse

We're using Dreamhost. For $8 a month (2-year contract), the features are incredibly good: 140GB storage and 1.4TB bandwidth, both of which go up a bit automatically every week, free domain for the first year, good referral program (tell them xenopulse@yahoo.com sent ya ;), php5 and mysql support, one-click installs of great software (incl. wordpress, joomla, and zencart), and so on. Sadly, they've been having a bunch of network problems recently, so I can't recommend them without reservation anymore. It's not been enough to make me switch, but it's been noticeable.

Clay

I can't get you hosting at such a good rate, but for $10/month I can get you on a solid server with the content management, ecommerce and forums ready to go.  And I'm gonna be honest that this is a direct plug for my services.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management