News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Newbie with ideas!

Started by maskedwriter, September 20, 2007, 07:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maskedwriter

I've been toying with the idea of making a RPG for some time now. I fell deeper into the idea when I visited a RPG forum and loved the setup. I've got the concept I really don't know how to make it work... but anyhow here's the concept.

Players make a character with the major types being angel fox, devil fox, humans, dogs, and cats which have variations in themselves. The game takes place in three settings; the clouds, Earth (well a twisted version of it), and -for lack of a better term- Hell.

Angel and Devil foxes guard humans from dangers unseen, such as mythological creatures and ghosts, or dangerous things in general. ex: an angel fox might protect it's human from a psycho killer ghost. The foxes also protect humans from other foxes.

Animals of the cat and dog family can see and speak to the foxes. Players can interact with others in battles that put the humans and/or their friends and/or loved ones in danger.

I really didn't want to make to much of a specific goal to it because I'm thinking of going it forum style. I guess the goal is survival.

I was basing this on a book I'm writing called Guardians. I was looking for some feedback and ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Vulpinoid

Hi Maskedwriter,

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like you've got some ideas ready to go, but now the tough bit is consolidating them into a meaningful whole.

Foxes in mythology are something I've researched pretty heavily (and one of the reasons for my forum name).

You've indicated that there are "Angel foxes" and "Devil foxes" in your setting, and while I appreciate that these two groups seem to be the most well fleshed out parts of your concept, you need to seriously consider the other aspects of the game. If "Angel foxes" are preventing the spread of evil in the world, and "Devil Foxes" are preventing too much influence from good, what do the humans, dogs and cats do?

In a setting like this, traditionally the humans sit between the two extremes and are the agents of free will in the world, but this still leaves the question of the dogs and cats? Why would a player choose one of these options when the foxes and the powers of the "celestial realm of clouds" and the "infernal realms of the underworld" at their disposal?

Maybe the foxes can't interact directly with the humans, so the cats and dogs have pretended to be pets for thousands of years, staying close to the humans to watch events unfold, then calling on the foxes when the balance of good and evil goes too far to one extreme. The foxes may only live in the spirit realms and be able to make occasional journey to the twisted human version of earth.

You've probably developed some ideas like this for the setting, but if not you can see that it's easy to add a bit more depth to make a richer world for players and characters to explore.

Just some ideas...

V

You've got Angel
A.K.A. Michael Wenman
Vulpinoid Studios The Eighth Sea now available for as a pdf for $1.