News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[ Idea ] RPG dealing with Addiction

Started by fanflicks, September 22, 2007, 12:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Berg

The bonus of Sober Dice would seem, to me, to depend on a default state of impairment.  You'd have to force the addicted characters to be painfully inept at certain normal things in order for the Sober Dice to be valued... which might actually be a pretty neat strategic scenario, being without many of the normal options.  Maybe at a certain level of Junkedness you:
- lose the ability to communicate through speech -- no one can understand a word you're saying
- lose the ability to walk upright when there's nothing to lean against
- lose the ability to track time (e.g. getting one action every 3 combat turns, unable to make any sort of rendezvous, being unaware that you just took two hours to walk a block, etc.)

Quote from: fanflicks on September 29, 2007, 04:56:52 PM
What kinds of addictions and how can they interact with the character and  the game?

A broad range is possible, depending on what you hope to achieve.  Non-mind-altering addictions obviously won't get you certain reality-questioning opportunities the way mind-altering addictions will.

For now, I'll hold off on posting other thoughts, pending more focused requests.  I'm a little unsure if I'm helping you work on the game you want to work on, or just brainstorming something similar but different.
here's my blog, discussing Delve, my game in development