News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Early game idea, but: Avoiding Derivation?

Started by TomTitTot, September 16, 2007, 05:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomTitTot

Okay, things have moved forward somewhat.

Players have a table on which they can roll if they want to randomize the dystopia, but it's not required. It gives a bare-bones idea of the sort of setting, but requires some involvement from the players to come alive.

I'm having a slight problem with the First Half - which is comprised of the gradual awakening of the Protagonists to their situation, and their dawning awareness of what truly matters to them. This is also where the Antagonists begins to outline what powers of control the Dystopia has. This portion of the game determines what resources the players have in the Second Half, when the shit starts to hit the fan - it's designed to usually be fairly balanced, however.

The problem I have is that both Protag and Antag set the elements they are trying to win - the winner has the trait and it can later be wagered in order to even the odds in serious conflict, but at great personal risk. However, the loser of the early scene takes his element as a weakness rather than a strength. I'm having a hard time of making the weakness mechanically backed-up, and it's driving me a bit mad. Perhaps a weakness allows a no-risk bid by the opposition? For example, if the Antag has the weakness "Secret Police" my Protag could, in a conflict, risk that trait and even the odds, but if the trait is used, it no longer is available - representing a one-time leg up on his opponents. Something like that?

It's coming together nicely, apart from that.