News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DRYH] Black, two lumps

Started by Danny_K, October 01, 2007, 05:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_K

This is an odd question that just occurred to me: what happens to the character's stats if they should find the Mad City equivalent of Starbuck's and slam a double shot lattee with extra whipped cream?  For that matter, the character I just made for a DRYH game (that doesn't look like it's going to happen) became awakened as the result of substance abuse, and his "what just happened" even was "...you see somebody with the suitcase full of coke being brought into the emergency room!" 

Either way, what happens in-game if a character gets a hold of some stimulants? You'd think this would reduce Exhaustion dice, but that screws up the whole Coins mechanic.  How would you handle this if it came up in a game?
I believe in peace and science.

iago

I don't know about you, but for me, sometimes when I slam some caffiene I fall dead asleep -- other times, I get hyped but less accurate.  It's not always a good thing!

So honestly -- I don't know that I'd do any one specific thing when someone takes a stimulant in the game.  That's too simple, really.

I might roll 1 Pain and see what the player decides to do about that ... let their pools dominate.  Exhaustion or Madness dominates, they got the downside of slamming caffeine.  Discipline dominates, they get the benefit.

Pyromancer

Quote from: Danny_K on October 01, 2007, 05:41:08 PM
This is an odd question that just occurred to me: what happens to the character's stats if they should find the Mad City equivalent of Starbuck's and slam a double shot lattee with extra whipped cream?

Nothing. The characters are way past caffein.

For that matter, the character I just made for a DRYH game (that doesn't look like it's going to happen) became awakened as the result of substance abuse, and his "what just happened" even was "...you see somebody with the suitcase full of coke being brought into the emergency room!" 

Either way, what happens in-game if a character gets a hold of some stimulants? You'd think this would reduce Exhaustion dice, but that screws up the whole Coins mechanic.  How would you handle this if it came up in a game?

In the only DRYH game I GMed, one character went exactly the same way. Took his substance (some kind of amphetamine, IIRC) a few times during the session. The player never asked for any mechanical benefit though, and I doubt I would have granted it.
But you could easily tie your Exhaustion or Madness Talent to some kind of drug, if you feel like it.