News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Complication question

Started by Valvorik, September 06, 2007, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valvorik

Sorry if this was answered (went back 6 pages and couldn't find something).

Once a complication is declared, it is the case that you can "buy dice" narrating and get them by drawing on traits of components in scene, you can introduce components etc, but you can't add traits to a component during a complication (this would then become preferred to buying dice, even if it was just making 'good shot' into 'good shot x2' etc.).

That's the sense I get reading page 93, however the box on page 92 talks about 'creative sources of dice" and one of them is adding traits to components?

Rob

Valamir

You can add Traits to a Component during a Complication.

Key points from page 93:
"Players...take their turns according to all of the standard rules."
"In addition to the usual actions of Creating Components, adding Traits, or narrating events..." (emphasis added)

The only difference is that since you have to have Control of a Component to add a Trait, and you can't Take Control of a Component that's already been aligned to a side in the Complication, committed Components Controlled by another player are off limits.

I know what you mean by adding Traits being mechanically superior to buying dice directly, but I've never actually seen this get abusive in play that wasn't immediately fixed with a simple raised eyebrow and a "duuuude...cum on..." typically followed by a sheepish grin and a "had to try".  Folks I've played with haven't seemed to mind paying a Coin for "temporary" dice by narrating "I have the high ground, I'm taking 2 dice for that" or "I'm hiding behind a tree for an extra die".

Of course that "temporary" expenditure can easily be handled by buying "Holding the High Ground x2" or "Hiding behind a Tree" as Traits and listing them for the Component.  While this would increase the Component's Importance by adding Traits, those traits would have to be bought off in order for the character to come down or leave the tree.

Ry

Did the last sentence get cut off?

Valamir

Actually it was part of an earlier paragraph that wound up not saying what I wanted it to say so I rewrote it and somehow managed to miss deleting all of original...so I've deleted it now.

epweissengruber

Thanks for doing all of the work.

It appears you know the game really well, Ryan.

It's a shame that school work is piling up and I won't be able to make it on Sunday.

Erik

Ry

Thanks Erik.  It's definitely one of those "Once you make your cheat sheet, you probably don't need a cheat sheet anymore."

Regarding the weekend game... curses, foiled again.  I think that might be the bullet to the head for the September Sundays.

Robotech_Master

Quote from: Valamir on September 06, 2007, 08:43:05 PM
The only difference is that since you have to have Control of a Component to add a Trait, and you can't Take Control of a Component that's already been aligned to a side in the Complication, committed Components Controlled by another player are off limits.
We forgot/weren't aware of that in our game today (it's been a while for me) and at one point a player on the same side as me in a complication spent a coin to add "Knows Judo" to my character. I thought it was a rather nice touch. I suppose it's something that can be house ruled.

Valamir

If memory serves there's already a Gimmick in the book called, I believe, Friendly Control, that addresses this.