News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Blazing Rose] Power 19 and attendant questions

Started by SabreCat, October 19, 2007, 01:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SabreCat

So I've got this crazy bug to write a story game, inspired by dating sims and harem anime and every other bit of fiction that involves several characters in romantic pursuit of the same love-interest. I call it Blazing Rose: A Story Game of Romantic Rivalry, and I am really psyched to bring it to fruition! I'm getting close to beginning a draft of my first playtest document, so I'm getting the word out and collecting as much feedback as I can. Here's my Power 19!

1.) What is your game about?

Blazing Rose is about romantic rivalry. Several characters have fallen in love with the same person, and playing out the game answers the question of "whom will she choose?"

2.) What do the characters do?

The characters compete for the attention and admiration of the Beloved. They one-up each other, trade favors, make promises, meddle, manipulate, and catfight to stand out from the pack of love-interests and gain favor.

3.) What do the players (including the GM if there is one) do?

Players narrate or act out their characters' actions in pursuit of the Beloved, and strategize within an economy of Affection points and hands of playing cards to gain mechanical advantage over the other Rivals. They request scenes and sometimes frame them, and may play supporting characters of interest to the developing story. The GM plays out the actions and reactions of the Beloved, and through antagonistic characters and participation in the card economy works to complicate the Rivals' efforts.

4.) How does your setting (or lack thereof) reinforce what your game is about?

Blazing Rose is without a specific setting. Love, and competition over it, is a timeless theme--so the game lets the group define its own milieu. Example settings will show the players how they can take a favorite background concept and wrap it around a central romantic conflict.

5.) How does the Character Creation of your game reinforce what your game is about?

Character creation focuses in on those things that aid or frustrate the Rivals in getting the Beloved's attention and earning the right to be with him in the end. The attributes let the player define the strategy or strategies their character employs in the pursuit of love; Traits show what's unique about the character, ways to stand out even when other factors are equal; a character's Problems are the biggest difficulties (besides the other Rivals) standing between her and the Beloved.

6.) What types of behaviors/styles of play does your game reward (and punish if necessary)?

Blazing Rose rewards friendly competition: striving to win without making enemies out of fellow players. It also rewards players' contributing to the tropes and atmosphere of a romantic tale.

7.) How are behaviors and styles of play rewarded or punished in your game?

Those who play hard and smart win Affection and Favor, scorekeeping points that translate into greater control over your character's fate with respect to the ultimate prize--the Beloved. While there are ways to backstab other players, these options carry a high cost, meaning that a constantly antagonistic player will not gain as much advantage as those who run in a friendlier mode. Getting emotional reactions from the players around the table gives bonuses in the card economy (the "aww" rule).

8.) How are the responsibilities of narration and credibility divided in your game?

Players have authority over their own characters; the GM has authority over the Beloved. Players can win or cede framing and narration rights for a scene by play in the conflict resolution system. Narration of other details is shared among the participants, with some more weight given to the player currently making a move in conflict.

9.) What does your game do to command the players' attention, engagement, and participation? (i.e. What does the game do to make them care?)

The setting, tone, Rivals, and Beloved are collaboratively created, helping the group weave together a set of story threads and characters interesting and endearing to all. In between major scenes of competition between the Rivals (and the Affection at stake therein), minor scenes are quick to play out and simple to resolve, keeping the action moving. The "aww" rule encourages players to try to elicit reactions from their peers, thus drawing those peers in.

10.) What are the resolution mechanics of your game like?

Players use cards from their hand to do one or more of gaining Affection, achieving scene goals, and hindering opponents' attempts to do the same, as well as to claim narration rights for the scene. A bidding system decides arena of conflict, and players negotiate scene goals heading into the resolution mechanics. The card play itself resembles a "trick" in a card game like Hearts, with the victor in a round collecting the cards played. That player then assigns those cards' effects among the characters participating in the conflict.

11.) How do the resolution mechanics reinforce what your game is about?

Card play highlights both the competitive focus and, by doling out narration rights, the idea of attention-seeking. Card suits are associated with different attitudes and actions, tying in the symbolism of Hearts, Diamonds, etc. with the vagaries of romance.

12.) Do characters in your game advance? If so, how?

Most character advancement focus is on the building of Affection and Favor, but Rivals also modify their Traits and Problems as their characters change. As sessions move on, the stakes of victory and loss increase (more Favor can be gained or lost).

13.) How does the character advancement (or lack thereof) reinforce what your game is about?

The race for Affection/Favor is absolutely central, as it needs to be for a game of romantic rivalry. Changing Traits shows how the love-quest has altered the character, and also gives a better sense of how the characters have gained advantage over each other. The growing breadth of possible Favor shifts both helps support the building tension of a romance arc leading toward climax, and allows the central question of "whom will he end up with?" to remain uncertain even when someone has a solid lead.

14.) What sort of product or effect do you want your game to produce in or for the players?

A feeling of emotional tension and catharsis, such as you might get when watching a romance plotline play out in a TV show. The excitement of competing, and the buzz of winning or losing. A coherent, enjoyable love story one could absorb and appreciate, as it develops or in retrospect.

15.) What areas of your game receive extra attention and color? Why?

Names of roles and attributes, to help players enter and stay in the mindset of this kind of story: "Beloved," "Rivals," "Favor" etc. Scenes where all the Rivals and the Beloved are present together, since these occasions present the most interesting opportunities for one to stand out above the rest.

16.) Which part of your game are you most excited about or interested in? Why?

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the finale episodes and epilogues play! I'd hope there's a lot of investment in it, seeing how hard everyone has fought for the outcome to come out how it does. I think it'd be a delightful and satisfying emotional wrap-up.

17.) Where does your game take the players that other games can't, don't, or won't?

Many games from Agon to Shooting the Moon have done pieces of what Blazing Rose is interested in, but the combination of group play + romance + competition is still fresh. I think this game will challenge players to work outside their realms of experience in romance, friendship, and sexuality--cross-gender play is likely to be very common, for instance.

18.) What are your publishing goals for your game?

A low-impact ashcan edition, followed by a prettier PDF+POD publishing scheme via Lulu or the like. No particular breadth-of-distribution goals: if any people at all play and enjoy it, I couldn't be happier! I'm still researching the possibilities here.

19.) Who is your target audience?

Roleplaying gamers, especially those who 1) are familiar with and enjoy "story games," and/or 2) would like to try a competitively themed game not focused on tactical combat. Fans of dating sims and harem anime.

Questions for all you insightful gamers:

Have I missed the point of any of these questions? I'm working from the excellent design blog "Socratic Design," so I feel like I have a pretty good handle on it, but does any of this sound like I don't quite get it?

Is my idea incoherent? Is it possible to have players in a competitive mindset, but still aiming to produce a fun and thematically appropriate narrative? Gamism is not my forte, but I want that edge and thrill here if I can get it. I suppose I'm picturing something like Contenders...

How necessary is it to set up for a comeback from behind, as alluded to in Question 13? Is an eleventh-hour victory something to be prized, or is it too frustrating to people who've played well up until the end?
Blazing Rose: A Story Game of Romantic Rivalry - Dating sims.  Harem anime.  Jealousy, competition, and friendships under strain.  But above all: love!

Eric J. Boyd

Hi Edward,

I think you've got the Power 19 nailed nicely. And the goal of marrying entertaining narrative with a competitive mindset seems very appropriate here. My question: have you read Emily Care Boss' Shooting the Moon? If not, go take a look because it handles similar territory and could be very inspirational for you as you consider mechanics. If you have, then tell me a bit about how Blazing Rose will be different from StM. I already see system differences, but want to hear how your thematic focus differs.

Cheers,

Eric

SabreCat

Eric,

Thanks for your reply.  I was afraid my post would be the first in a while to fall off the radar of First Thoughts without any responses, ha.  (Next thing to learn as a fledgling game designer: how to get people's attention...)

As for Shooting the Moon, you're not the first to have mentioned it, but as yet I haven't been able to get ahold of a copy.  I hope to do so by this weekend or soon after, and will be better able to answer your question then.  From what I know of Emily's game so far, one point of differentiation is that Shooting the Moon looks specifically at the dynamics of two suitors, while Blazing Rose tells stories about the drama/hijinx of some 3-6 rivals.  That should change the atmosphere quite a bit already!
Blazing Rose: A Story Game of Romantic Rivalry - Dating sims.  Harem anime.  Jealousy, competition, and friendships under strain.  But above all: love!