News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Trollbabe and leaving the adventure

Started by droog, November 02, 2007, 07:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droog

It's my understanding that the rule is that trollbabes are not allowed to leave a given adventure until the Stakes are resolved. I can't find this rule in the book, though it is implied in several ways. Is it literally stated or just implied?
AKA Jeff Zahari

droog

No takers? I'll explain why I see this as an implied rule.

• The player is to choose the location of the next adventure (p33, 36). This implies that there will be a self-contained situation in a specific location.
  • The adventure has Stakes to be resolved. p7: The point of having Stakes is to generate something else entirely, called Consequences.... Consequences will occur, as the Stakes must change, develop, and come to any form of resolution through the course of the trollbabe's presence and voluntary-or-involuntary involvement in the situation. (my emphases)
  • Between adventures, Consequences are to be discussed (p36). This further reinforces that there are to be Consequences, which reinforces that the Stakes must be resolved.
  • TB is structurally identical to DitV. The character(s) comes into a situation, acts upon it, and resolves it in some fashion (DitV p94: PCs travel from congregation to congregation, facing danger and putting things right as they can.... Uncover the town's pride, sin, apostasy and hate, lay it bare and pronounce judgement upon it. I read this as saying that an adventure (for DitV and thus by extension TB) will involve the resolution of a situation; creating a self-contained episode.
  • See also the Glossary for the terms Adventure, Stakes and Consequences. The restated definitions again reinforce this conclusion.
AKA Jeff Zahari

James_Nostack

Droog, I could swear it's stated explicitly, but I can't seem to locate it now.  On page 17, under the description of injuries, they note that the Trollbabe cannot exit the adventure; I'll see if I can find the other stuff.
--Stack

droog

Do you mean where it says: A character cannot "exit" a given adventure. She may awaken after some time...but she remains in the adventure at hand. under 'Injury' (p20 by printed page numbers)? It does appear to be almost a clincher for generalising the rule. Thank you.
AKA Jeff Zahari

James_Nostack

Yeah, I'm sorry: page 20.  But I was certain there's explicit text to the effect that while the player has complete control over what the trollbabe chooses to care about or ignore, the trollbabe cannot stomp off out of the situation entirely.  I couldn't find it after 10 minutes of looking, though, and thus I'm unsure whether that's more of a hard rule thing, or a common courtesy 'soft rule' thing, or both.
--Stack

Ron Edwards

Hi guys,

I had the same experience going through the text again and again saying "I swear it put it in there!" It's there, but only in the Injury section. That's the only textual reference to the rule, unfortunately. I think I was trying to say every rule in Trollbabe one time only, and ended up putting that one in as a secondary reference to the injury rules, when clearly it should have been stated in the Adventures section.

Best, Ron