News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Contracts for Art

Started by Willow, November 06, 2007, 11:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willow

It's been recommended to me that I get some contracts for myself and my artists.

How do I do this?  Are there templates out there?  I know what rights I want, but I don't know how to do a fancy contract.

pells

Hi Willow !!!

If you request the work of an artist, you should use a contract. Anyway, I guess this is how it is done seriously ...
I needed one two years ago when I first contracted illustrators. Well, building this contract has been a real mess for me, but I do have a template.
If you want me to provide it to you, just PM me (unless you want it here ...) and I'll tell you which parts are very important (rights of use).
Sébastien Pelletier
And you thought plot was in the way ?
Current project Avalanche

Ron Edwards

Hi Willow,

This is a controversial topic although many people like to promote their viewpoint as if "everyone knows that."

Here's a useful thread for teasing out some of the trickier points:
"Top 10 Lies told to Designers" (for the freelancers out there)

Best, Ron

Willow

Thanks for the link Ron!

So, what I've learned...

1) The setup I have in mind is fairly simple.

2) But I'll still want some sort of formal agreement, establishing who has what rights.

3) I have no idea how to do this, and need help.

iago

I use a very simple contract in largely plain language that makes it clear I'm buying the right to publish the art, not the art itself, leaving ownership of the art in the artist's hands.  That's the core of what the contract says; everything else is just trappings about how and when the money will get paid out and what would constitute a termination or breach of the contract.

Willow

Hey Fred, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.  Would you be willing to send me a copy of your standard contracts?

iago

Quote from: Willow on November 07, 2007, 11:33:08 AM
Hey Fred, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.  Would you be willing to send me a copy of your standard contracts?
Drop me a line at evilhat AT gmail DOT com and I'll see if I can figure out a way to give you something generic.

Doc_Peck

Would you mind if I contacted you as well?  I have pretty vanilla needs (I am buying x pieces of art for $y each and I own the art when done), and I think a generic contract should cover me.

iago

Quote from: Doc_Peck on December 12, 2007, 10:18:11 PM
Would you mind if I contacted you as well?  I have pretty vanilla needs (I am buying x pieces of art for $y each and I own the art when done), and I think a generic contract should cover me.

Mine's not your kind of generic, then.  It stipulates the artist owning their work.

rafael

Hi, Willow,

This is what I usually send to the artists that I work with.

http://www.dread-rpg.com/contract.pdf

-- Rafael
Rafael Chandler, Neoplastic Press
The Books of Pandemonium