News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Some Agon questions

Started by Troll66, November 30, 2007, 05:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troll66

hello
I have a couple of Agom questions and would appreciate any help...ere goes:

1) p 44 if heroes want to set starting conditions for a battle - what conditions may be set by a cunning roll - is it only position?

2) if a combatant becomes subject to a modifier e.g. -2 to his nest roll does a position roll count as his next roll?

3) does range modifiers from weapons used at sub optimal ranges affect defence rolls?

4) should not a combatant with a spear at optimal range (range 2) attack before a combatant attacking with a sword at range 2 (i.e. at -1) currently guy with sword will always attack first abeit with a penalty?

cheers
Alex

Mel White

Not official, of course, but here's my take:
Quote from: Troll66 on November 30, 2007, 05:15:15 PM
I have a couple of Agon questions ...
1) p 44 if heroes want to set starting conditions for a battle - what conditions may be set by a cunning roll - is it only position?
A pre-battle contest could be about anything.   If the starting conditions are not at stake, then if the Heroes win, they would gain an advantage die of some size determined by the Antagonist.  If they lose, then the opponent does.    For example, with enough prior notice, the Heroes might  consult the architect of the Labyrinth in order to know where best to attack the Minotaur.  A Simple Contest against Lore determines if they find something useful.  In a hasty attack, a Simple Contest against Insight might discover the vulnerable heel of Achilles...gaining an advantage die.

2) if a combatant becomes subject to a modifier e.g. -2 to his nest roll does a position roll count as his next roll?
Yes, that's how I play it. 

3) does range modifiers from weapons used at sub optimal ranges affect defence rolls?
Hmm, I've only applied range penalties to attack rolls. 

4) should not a combatant with a spear at optimal range (range 2) attack before a combatant attacking with a sword at range 2 (i.e. at -1) currently guy with sword will always attack first abeit with a penalty?
I suppose you could make a house rule that weapons in optimal range attack prior to weapons in non-optimal range, in the standard order.  There may, in fact, be times when it matters.  I'm not sure the additional complexity is worth it--but it's worth it to the guy with one hit left.  Better call in some oaths!
Mel
Virtual Play: A podcast of roleplaying games
http://virtualplay.podbus.com

John Harper

Yep, Mel has it right.

About the spear thing:
It might be realistic to let the spear guy go first in that case, but the fact that swords go first is a factor that helps balance the weapons from a mechanical standpoint. The shield/spear combo is pretty much the best weapon in the game, except for the fact that those pesky sword guys get the first swing.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Mel White

Let me add, too, for clarity's sake, that the penalty for being out of optimal range is -2 per range band. 
Mel
Virtual Play: A podcast of roleplaying games
http://virtualplay.podbus.com

Troll66

thanks for the responses - i'll play as is with spear for now - if it irks me i'll fiddle a bit with it...
thanks
Alex

Noclue

Quote from: Troll66 on December 01, 2007, 07:18:43 PM
thanks for the responses - i'll play as is with spear for now - if it irks me i'll fiddle a bit with it...
thanks
Alex

My way of wrapping my head around this is to assume that the range bands aren't really (or aren't only) about distance to target. Its an abstraction for who's got the best shot, not who's within reach. The sword guy can hit, so he's obviously within reach of the opponent, albeit at a penalty. Abstraction is your friend here.
James R.