News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Design Goals For Alternative Take on Amber RPG

Started by SaintandSinner, December 04, 2007, 01:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaintandSinner

I'm looking to rift off of the basic ADRPG which I've had years and years of fun playing and running. Althought the game is good there are times when it is difficult to determine reasonable conflict resolution. Also characters may be very different but the rules don't enforce or reward this sort of differenitiation directly. Last I really like the games I'm into now (Sorcerer, SOTC, PDQ, Mortal Coil, TSoY, ect) and I'd like to find a way to add their coolness to my favorite game.

1. I would like to see meaningful conflict in each of the main Trait areas (Combat, Warfare, Influence and Psyche).
2. I would like to have characters with varied approaches to conflict within each area and the rules to reward creative use of niche Traits.
3. I would like each Trait to be "cool" to have as the best (ie. each person's niche is fun to play and powerful in its own area).
4. I would like to retain the diceless character of the game (with one small addition of risk) - more on this later 
5. I would like to add some story driven elements that reward players for delineating and playing interesting stories (I want every player to feel like they are the main character in a Zelazney Amber novel) - more on this later
6. I would like to have a single resolution mechanic that feeds advantages from multiple Traits (Core and Unique Traits, Pattern, Items, Allies, Shadow Resource, Passions, etc) into the resolution system so play is minimally slowed by the mechanics. - more on this later
7. There are probably others I'm missing or forgetting. If anyone thinks I'm missing a major area of conflict in a Amber Game please let me know.

More information available at  http://johnpaul613.livejournal.com/ 

Any help would be appreciated.   

SaintandSinner

I've posted the major outline with mechanics.  If OK with Ron I could repost everything here or just direct you to my LJ with discussion over here.  Any help you could give would be appreciated.

http://johnpaul613.livejournal.com/